TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: running issue 2 cylinders 93 non-turbo  (Read 4336 times)

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
running issue 2 cylinders 93 non-turbo
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »

1993 non-turbo running on #3 and#4 cylinders all injectors are clicking ran fine shut it off at the gas station filled up then started it and is only running on the two cylinders any idea's   new plugs and wires coil on the way. could crank position sensor do this? checked timing its on . Somewhere in electrical and want to get right part maybe icm? could it be the distributor itself driving me nutty. thank you one and all. mike from sequim,wa

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: running issue 2 cylinders 93 non-turbo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »

Did you check the obvious, like are you getting spark? Could it be the distributor? Check all grounds. Yeah I've only heard about the module in the distributor going completely, not half way, but I've seen other cars fail in unusual ways so, who knows?
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »

checked spark,fuel, changed fuel filter could a crankshaft sensor cauce this?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »

theoretically, sure, but I haven't heard of it. However I haven't heard anything about crankshaft sensors on Capris. In fact, I just looked on TeamCapri and RockAuto and thought about my experience with our timing system and I don't remember one for our cars. I do know for sure that some of us have had issues with crankshaft keys shearing because of the early design of the nose of the crank. I had my harmonic balancer almost fall off due to the previous mechanic not installing the tension ring correctly, but my crank is a long nose and the key and keyway are fine.
Maybe you should recheck timing marks?

To double check about crankshaft sensors, dig into the factory service manual PDF files, a search on TeamCapri will find the new links.

One more thing. You said new plugs and wires on the way, how good is the cap and rotor? I suspect distributor problems as much as anything at this point.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »

We don't have a crankshaft timing sensor on our cars, that was extremely new/expensive technology when the Capri came out. If Ford was to have added it they would have had to gone distributorless, as it wouldn't work with the dizzy sense it isn't a CAS system. I've seen quite a few Miata with Megasquity and other ECUs upgraded to using a crank sensor, but never a Capri.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »

The way it's cranking it sounds like a cylinder has no compression.  This could be due to a catastrophic mechanical failure, a stuck valve, blown head gasket, or jumped timing belt.

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »

thanks all for replying, has new plugs,wires,cap and rotor. compression good timing good i dont see two injectors clogging at the same time gotta new coil coming next week. what about the distributor could that be going? its the #1 and #2 cylinders pull  plug wires no change pull 3 or 4 and dies crazy checked spark on all 4 and they have it it happened after gassing up at the gas station like i said ran fine shut it off for gas and went to start after fueling up and runs like crap on 2 cylinders leaning toward a gremlin, god bless you all

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 01:05:05 AM »

There is an ignition module in the distributor that goes out when you least expect it. I've always heard that you get nothing after it goes though. Two cylinders bad isn't usually what people report for a bad ignition module. It might be worth a try though,  it I think they are expensive. Idk if there is a test for validating one. Im also not sure about what the exact name of the module is either.
R. Powell

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »

hi all, well rechecked timing and its dead on. Cylinder 1 is tdc, rotor points to one, rotated engine lines back up, waiting for new coil this week, doing one thing at a time. will see how coil works out if not I m stunned, maybe distributor?  wanting to drve with the top down in the sun once again thanks all

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 06:54:46 AM »

You said..."i dont see two injectors clogging at the same time", but by saying that I wonder, have you checked your fuel pressure? Besides the ignition, it's one of the last things I can think of - except timing jumping 1 tooth. It sounds like you checked the timing well, but idk if you can see it that close unless the harmonic balancer is out of the way. One more check, you could pull the distributor and check for shaft play or see if you can see any visual signs of electronic problems, there may be a test you can perform on the module, you'll have to search for info on that. If you pull the distributor, scribe where the bolt slot ears are in relation to the mounting bolt washers before you do so that you can put it back exactly where it was. Clean up all grounds between the engine and body as well.
R. Powell

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »

thanks again, fuel is good but I noticed as I rotated the engine the timing belt was tight between camshaft pulleys then as I rotated it more and it got a little loose between the pulleys. shouldn't it have the same tension all the way around? still stumped as I got new coil and it didn't help.

blueamber

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:43 PM »

Try using starter fluid into input.  If it seems to run on all 4 with the fluid, then some injectors are not working properly.  Swap in another ECU?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »

Dan Reynolds on the Yahoo, Capri Convertible group just posted the following which very much points to your problems. Reading it reminds me of some terminology like pickup - this is what I was thinking was your problem all along, maybe the igniter as well. Follow his research and read the service manual.

"Went through Shop Manual Diagnostics and appears I have a faulty distributor pickup on my 91 N/A.    Intermittent lack of ignition.  When no ignition there is no continuity in pickup.  Instead of doing entire distributor replacement will replace pickup and probably igniter while in there and see what happens.  Shop manual seems to say that pickup can be removed without removing the armature but I don’t see it.  Looks like pickup and igniter also are wrapped around the shaft and looks like they are basically one unit?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:09:31 AM by SHOwn »
R. Powell

michaeljraymoned

• 93 capri
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

Thank you again SHOwn will look into that, by the time i get it up and running it should last awhile. Thanks everyone you all rock!