TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: 2 related problems? This is strange to say the least...  (Read 1901 times)

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
2 related problems? This is strange to say the least...
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »

My SE hasn't made as much boost as my son's SC (3 months apart, both '93 cars). His has a bigger exhaust (so I expect it to spool faster), but we both should be making the same approximate boost level, at least in my mind. This was bothering me a little (but I wasn't losing sleep over it, because the car still runs really well). Of greater concern was the feeling that either my wheel bearings were too tight (the previous owner just fitted new ones), or my brakes are dragging slightly. I noticed that the car doesn't roll to gentle stop, rather it abruptly stops (albeit at a very low speed).

Today, I jumped up and down on the brake pedal VERY HARD a few times, so see if I could work things loose. To my amazement, both problems corrected themselves. My boost level doubled (to just over 0.5 BAR on the gauge, where I expect it) and the binding sensation disappeared.

In my mind, the only thing that could possibly connect the two symptoms is the brake booster. I have no idea if this makes sense, but I'm guessing that if some sort of valve in there was stuck, then two things could happen - 1. The brakes could drag a little, and 2. I'd be leaking boost (as the brake booster is connected directly to the back of the inlet manifold).

Does my rationale make sense to anyone else? I'm thinking that if it happens again, I'll simply disconnect the hose from the booster and plug the end, and see if I have full boost pressure available (without boosted brakes).

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
Re: 2 related problems? This is strange to say the least...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »

It appears as though the 2 issues are unrelated. The check valve before the brake booster is fine, as is the booster itself, so I suspect I simply have an intermittently sticking caliper on one corner. The periodic lack of boost occurs with a change in engine idling characteristics, which points me to a vacuum leak somewhere. I guess I'm going to be performing a leak test...