TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Stiff brake pedal after heavy use  (Read 4917 times)

91Droptop

• '05 Toyota Spyder & '91 Merc Capri
Stiff brake pedal after heavy use
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »

Good to meet everyone...new member & first time poster!  After test driving 5-6 Capri's, I found a '91 that didn't feel wore out.  Only problem was I could feel the binders sticking (ever so slightly) sometimes while rolling to a stoplight.  Then years later, I noticed the sticking got more pronounced after heavy use (going thru school lines or traffic jams) & the pedal would get progressively stiffer with each application.  Last month, while stuck in a jam over 90 minutes, the pedal was completely stiff after the first hour.  And I could hear pinging from the engine as it struggled to get back going.  After 15 miles of clean road at 70 mph I exited and eased pressure on the pedal, which went almost to the floor & had to be pumped again to fully build up pressure.  WHAT MIGHT BE MY PROBLEM, FOLKS?  I thought my front/right caliper was a bear to bleed last time around.  In fact, I asked the man to reset the caliper because they the brakes kept "wooshing" every time I'd attempt to bleed the line.  Dude reset it & we stomped the pedal & bled the pedal back to normal.  I don't notice any veering to one side or the other under heavy braking.  I checked the brake fluid this week & levels are fine...color looked to be clear with a slight green/brown tint.  In a perfect world, someone has seen this problem & cured it with a $5 & little effort...but my life is never perfect.  Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. 

I love this car...but I feel like I'm re-hosing this car one leak at a time.  And the idle has been running 2100rpm at startup after changing the battery a few months ago.  I'm afraid I'm just not mechanical enough to keep it running right or dependable.  Six months ago, I bought an '05 MR2 Spyder to replace the Merc BUT there's literally no room for cargo in an MR2.