TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: "Clunk" when disengaging clutch  (Read 2265 times)

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
"Clunk" when disengaging clutch
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »

On my son's SC, there is a definite "clunk" when disengaging the clutch, especially when under load (some kind of driveline lash). I'm about to start looking at engine mounts, etc. etc. but I was hoping someone may have experienced similar symptoms and can help shorten my troubleshooting time.

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
Re: "Clunk" when disengaging clutch
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »

It was indeed engine mounts. Completely destroyed. New ones installed, now silky smooth.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: "Clunk" when disengaging clutch
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »

Thanks Rod, see, those kind of things really help the rest of us diagnose when ours act up. My XR2 had a bad front trans mount which was impossible to see unless you lifted on the engine and for about 2 years I thought it was a grabby clutch. I had to watch how quickly I released the pedal or it would grab, grab, grab, with what felt like every rotation. Reverse was worse, I had to feather it up the driveway. Sure was nice to fix that.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.