TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: World's most discrete low profile boost gauge pod  (Read 2304 times)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
World's most discrete low profile boost gauge pod
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »

I looked for a thin, low profile gauge pod that I could fit an aftermarket 2" boost gauge on the steering column since the 2" bezel just fails to be small enough to cut out the stock gauge and slip it into the stock gauge cluster. I couldn't find one without much lift (base thickness) and I needed my gauge to sit right on the column.

If you can't find it, fabricate it. This cost $12 for the gauge, and $2 for the belt. Yup, that is a women's leather belt, straight from Goodwill. I cut a section out of it and laid the finished side down, ran 3 painted black 1/4" sheet metal screws into it, then tightly wrapped the gauge with the unfinished side toward the gauge, all the way around until I got the finished side lapping over the part of the column that turns vertical. I cut it off there and ran 3 more 1/4" painted black sheet metal screws through it. I chose a women's decorative belt because I needed the width to cover the depth of the gauge, but men's belts don't come that wide. Lots of women's belts are wide, not intended to fit belt loops.

I like how the gauge perfectly blocks the inaccurate stock gauge and doesn't block my view of anything else.

The colors match too -bonus!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:20:56 PM by SHOwn »
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
Re: World's most discrete low profile boost gauge pod
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:30:46 AM »

Ingenious!

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
Re: World's most discrete low profile boost gauge pod
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »

OK, I didn't read through at first and was wondering what the big deal was. I just assumed it was a standard (albeit thin) cup. That looks really good, leather wrapped and all :-)