TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Remote locking 94 XR2  (Read 2733 times)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
Remote locking 94 XR2
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:56:41 AM »

Does anyone have advice on how to wire up a remote locking system for the 94 Capri

I have a copy of the power lock wiring diagram, and it looks like a positive trigger system.

Questions to consider from the connections of remote lock device to connect to the diagram.

1. Where to connect the positive trigger wire.

2. I have a brown 'lock' wire and a violet 'unlock' wire to consider also, where do these connect.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Remote locking 94 XR2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

I had no clue Capris came with power locks I've been thinking of installing a eBay powerlock system for awhile now.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »

I had no clue Capris came with power locks I've been thinking of installing a eBay powerlock system for awhile now.

The 91-93’s only have a lock position sensor on the driver’s side, and a power door lock motor on the passenger side.  This allows the passenger side door lock to mimic the driver’s side lock.
The 94 has power door lock motors and lock/unlock switches on both doors.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »

Does anyone have advice on how to wire up a remote locking system for the 94 Capri

I have a copy of the power lock wiring diagram, and it looks like a positive trigger system.

Questions to consider from the connections of remote lock device to connect to the diagram.

1. Where to connect the positive trigger wire.

2. I have a brown 'lock' wire and a violet 'unlock' wire to consider also, where do these connect.

Unfortunately installing a remote door lock unit is going to be somewhat harder then just connecting two wires. 

Does your remote unit have +12V outputs(brown=lock and violet=unlock)?
If so, you will need two SPDT relays to make it work.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »

Maybe when I get home Sunday I can have a look. My 91 XR2 had the factory remote added by the dealer and almost works perfectly. The only problem is after unlocking, my interior lights and audio tone stay on for about 60 seconds after starting the engine.

One more weird oddity, sometimes in the cold weather I have to get close and push the unlock multiple times and the knob will inch its way slowly to the open position. It still works though. However, i learned from the guy at the MACG with the 10k mi 94 XR2 to not lock it with the soft top up, so I only lock it with the hard top on it. I don't need anyone slicing their way into my car to find there isn't anything valuable in it anyway.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »

Maybe when I get home Sunday I can have a look. My 91 XR2 had the factory remote added by the dealer and almost works perfectly. The only problem is after unlocking, my interior lights and audio tone stay on for about 60 seconds after starting the engine.

One more weird oddity, sometimes in the cold weather I have to get close and push the unlock multiple times and the knob will inch its way slowly to the open position. It still works though. However, i learned from the guy at the MACG with the 10k mi 94 XR2 to not lock it with the soft top up, so I only lock it with the hard top on it. I don't need anyone slicing their way into my car to find there isn't anything valuable in it anyway.

That's the reason I never lock mine.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd