TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Street racing in the Capri  (Read 4075 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
Street racing in the Capri
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

OK, so I drive the Blue Turd 150 miles a day to and from work. It is a bit rusty, has a red hard top and is NOT an XR2. Whilst I mainly drive highway, on this particular day a crash made going back roads some a better option. I’m cruising along, listening to my 3rd favorite station when I notice a C6 Corvette next to me. I’m in 3rd gear, puttering along as Spanky starts goosing the throttle. I casually look over at him with my “Are you OK?” look just as he gets on it. Boom…………….left in the dust by douchebag number 1.

As I continue my detour I was thinking to myself “Self, what makes someone in a 400 hp car want to race a 100 hp (in her prime) car?” Self had no answer. I was brought out of my deep pondering by the lights in my rearview mirror. Low and behold, a Mini S was on my arse. Still being a 4 lane, 45 mph road I stayed on the right side as he came up next to me. Now, my “Are you OK?” look is obviously easily confused with my “Hey Brah……lets street race yo!” look so I decided to keep my eyes forward. A quick tap of the peddle by the Mad Yuppie and he pulled out in front of me. It may have been his 200hp or it may have been that we started going uphill and I didn’t give it any more gas but that was the second race I lost that day.  :o

This all leads to these 3 questions.

1. What is it about a 25 year old convertible econobox driven by a middle aged fat guy that screams “LET’S RACE”?
2. Why do Mini’s sound like shit?
3. What is the average air speed velocity of a laden swallow?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Street racing in the Capri
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »

This gave me a chuckle. For whatever reason newer GT Mustangs love to walk me, I guess it's the racing stripes.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

My67falcon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Racing stripes? Well, you were just asking for a race😁

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »

Yea I didn't put them on it, I bought the car with them and haven't taken them off because the paint underneath is roached. I'm planning on getting rid of them once I get the car repainted.

My67falcon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »

I'm at a crossroads with mine. Yesterday I picked up a '92 XR2 as a parts car. It runs to good to part out though. I may keep it and use my NA as the parts car. Look out cirvettes everywhere.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »

Save the XR2, NAs are a dime a dozen, I can't even find a XR2 near me. That's the whole reason I'm forced into doing a engine swap, because if I had a XR2 is just swap to a newer turbo and Megasquirt. I guess it's A good learning experience sense I'm so used to classic muscle cars, everything with the Capri is a learning experience.

My67falcon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »

I've got $400 In to it so far. It has had some "rearrangement" under the hood to sort out, a few mice to kill and a little rust but it's very fixable.

Merlin

• 91 Capri N/A, 93 XR2, 2018 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »

Your post cracked me up.  Here in Miami its the kids in there Hondas with the fart can exhaust that love try and race anything that moves. LOL  Washiest if you are in the market for an XR2, I know of somebody down here that is getting ready to sell 6 1994 XR2, and an entire warehouse full parts 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »

Your post cracked me up.  Here in Miami its the kids in there Hondas with the fart can exhaust that love try and race anything that moves. LOL  Washiest if you are in the market for an XR2, I know of somebody down here that is getting ready to sell 6 1994 XR2, and an entire warehouse full parts

I've heard of that before, have they ever decided on any prices.  I watch eBay weekly and there are always some on there.  I got my 63K XR2 for $1000.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Merlin

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »

I've posted about it on here before as warehouse full of capris.  The actual owner of the cars lost them to the leasing company and they are going to be holding an auction to try to get their money back.  The preliminary price they are talking for the 94's is 2500.  They are all in really good shape and have been stored in a warehouse and all but one has the hard top.  I have a few pictures if you want.  I was able to pick up a complete 92 XR2 with a hard top and leather interior, another set of leather interior, a new out of the box bubble top and a brand new strut brace for 500.  I will be meeting with them again tomorrow afternoon if you have any questions you would like me to ask.  The warehouse is packed with parts.  I've been trying to get a hold of Russ to let him know, but have not heard back from him. 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

I wish I could get in on it, but, alas I can't.  Just really interested in the goings on.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »

Are any of those 94 XR2's cobalt blue?
Cuz I've been thinking my Capri should have a sister...LOL, plus then I could reuse the BP engine too.

My67falcon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »

Get me the info and I'll pass it on to a guy that collects 94 XR2's. His shop is packed full of them.

I started taking the interior out of the XR2 but one bolt rounded off on me. Once I see how the floor is I'll know if I'm keeping it or parting it.

My67falcon

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »

If you are simply going to sheet screw a plate over rust why use untreated steel?

Grinder and snips time.

Merlin

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »

Chrispoe, there are actually 2 cobalt blue, but the owner of the warehouse is looking for somebody to take everything.  They have somebody lined up for the purchase, should the sale not happen I will let you know.