TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Under pressure  (Read 2655 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
Under pressure
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »

So my commute to work is 150 miles a day. I drove the Capri and all way fine on the way to work (75 miles) and part of the way home. About 50 miles out the oil pressure dropped to just above the red mark. I pulled into a Dollar General store, let it cool for about 15 minutes and checked the oil. It was a tad low so I bought a quart and got it to the middle of the fill line. Took off and it was still showing low. That was about a month ago. I started it the next day and pressure was fine again. I drove it locally for a month (10-20 miles per trip) and no issues. Yesterday I braved the commute again and, again it did the same thing. Fine on the way in, fine till the last 50ish miles then low. The difference this time is when I came to my exit off the highway and stopped at the light the pressure came back up and was fine the last 10 miles home. I have researched here and read the different issues but has anyone experience the on and off again presser over such a mileage span. The motor gets warmed up on the first leg with no issue. I'm stumped. Brother-in-law will be looking at it this weekend but he isn't familiar with the quirks of the 323/Capri motors.

Thanks,

Falcon

frog

• 93 xr2 & 91 N/A
Re: Under pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:43:51 AM »

My 93 xr2 does the same thing everyone here says  the oil sending unit is the culprite I just make sure fluids are topped off and she does just fine. it has been doing this since I bought it two years ago. buy an aftermarket pressure guage and install it you will know for sure what you're pressure is.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »

Can atest to oil pressure being funky. Ive had my Capri for 4 years now and atleast 8k miles, and ive never had a problem. The gauge on mine does all the things you say, and ive run my car hard, and havent had a single issue.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »

I'm hoping that the gauge is the culprit. I'm going to install an aftermark gauge as suggested but now to figure out where to stick it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

The sending unit is usually the problem.  I think they run about $250.  But how long will it work?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd