TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]

Author Topic: Getting to know the members  (Read 198983 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Getting to know the members
« Reply #450 on: February 27, 2023, 05:43:08 PM »

Welcome Richard, I'm a 75yo kid who discovered them late also. Back in the day my neighbor had one and I thought it was cute.  Be careful it's an addiction. Sounds like you have a good start there. I took one of mine to a Miata meet one time and got a lot of interest. Back here in NC we also have combined Festiva/Capri meets.

I've often wondered how long I could get away with it, showing up at a Miata show and saying it's a first gen. Shoot, it could probably even pass for a 240z from a distance too.

Glad that, just like at work, I'm probably the youngest one here by decades too. That just means I've got good taste in interests, yeah? Plus, I sure do need SOMETHING in my life to make me feel young  :P

Welcome to the club Richard, and congrats on the barn find! Let's see some pics

JoeinJersey

« Reply #451 on: April 17, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »

Hello Everyone.  I figured I'd post here since it's been a very long time since I've been active with the Capri.  It's languished outside for several years after it's last alternator gave out and the last run of nice weather finally inspired me to get it to turn over. I've ordered a new slave cylinder and managed to get it into the garage limping along on the starter motor so hopefully if there's nothing fatal I'll be back on the road by summer. Cheers all! Looking to reconnect
Life\\\'s too short to drive a Honda.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2023, 08:02:42 AM »

Hello Everyone.  I figured I'd post here since it's been a very long time since I've been active with the Capri.  It's languished outside for several years after it's last alternator gave out and the last run of nice weather finally inspired me to get it to turn over. I've ordered a new slave cylinder and managed to get it into the garage limping along on the starter motor so hopefully if there's nothing fatal I'll be back on the road by summer. Cheers all! Looking to reconnect

Welcome back to the club  ;D  I dunno where you're at (I'm assuming NJ), but I have a guy in southwestern NY who has rebuilt at least 1 Capri alternator. If you need help with yours let me know, I can send you the address to his shop. He did warn me he's running low/out of parts for the 85A alternator though.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2023, 08:44:16 AM »

Welcome back. As E says, alternator/motor shops can rebuild you alternator. If you op to get one from a parts store be sure the pulleys match. It's common for parts store alternators to have a pulley that causes belt problems. I can empathize with you, I've been trying to get one going that set for 20 years. Hopefully your brake master cylinder is okay as rebuilds are not available. If there is a problem, we have a guy in Australia that buys rebuild kits and ships them to us because the seller will not ship. Good luck with it.
Jack Byrd

JoeinJersey

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »

Thanks for the welcome back and the advice.  I know all too well about the alternator pully problem.  Almost all of the rebuilt ones come with a split pully and most change the shift diameter so our pull won't fit.  What is the preferred belt these days?  I know Russ used to sell one.  I read he shut down Roo Sport a while ago.  Are he and Matt (Rocketman) still active?
Life\\\'s too short to drive a Honda.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #455 on: April 24, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »

Hey Joe!

I'm still here. Roo-sport is gone, Russ's health is not great & he is not active in the community anymore. I still chat with him from time to time.

Good to see you still around.

-Matt
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

NEDREBEL

• 19 RAM, 91 XR2, 78 VOLARE, 67 RAMBLER REBEL
« Reply #456 on: April 28, 2023, 11:37:37 AM »

Ned
Pittsburgh
Thought it would be a cheep easy fix for my kids(boy was I wrong). It's a blast to drive.
TUCKER

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #457 on: April 29, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »

You've learned that already. They are not the easiest cars to maintain because of their rarity, but I think they are the most fun you can have for the money. Welcome to the community.
Jack Byrd

91sheila

• 1991 mercury capri manual
« Reply #458 on: May 02, 2023, 11:24:21 PM »

1 my name is josephine but you all can call me jo for ease of use.
2 Thurmont, MD
3. I bought my capri in January of this year (2023) because I happened upon an ad on facebook marketplace for the cutest little convertible car with pop up headlights for a mere 1,600 dollars and with an insane interest in cars that at that point in time happened to be focused on wanting to learn stick shift, I went to go travel to an area just outside of Baltimore to go buy a manual mercury capri from 1991.
4. if money were no object I would love to get my hands on a DeLorean I have heavy interest in all things 80s/90s cars and I feel like the DeLorean is a pretty darn good representation of the time period.
5  I would want the capri to of course keep the pop up headlights but as for the top I think it would be so interesting to see a t-top on a capri in the future and I would really like to see them keep it a small car.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #459 on: May 03, 2023, 09:22:40 AM »

Welcome to the group, it sounds like you will be a good addition to the community.
Jack Byrd

Simon Courtney

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #460 on: July 22, 2023, 10:59:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

Finally got around to posting something.

Based in Australia. I have a '94 XR2 which I bought new.

I left it in storage for about 20 years while travelling and working overseas.

Overhauled the fuel system, brakes and hoses.

I now have it back on the road and it is my daily driver. Been fixing up other things as I go.

The pulleys on the alternator and water pump were worn and chewing fan belts so I replaced the water pump pulley and the alternator. The alt is horrible to replace on a RHD. I lost a lot of skin that day.

Just put a new canvass top on and repaired the heater. A heater is not essential in Queensland. But it stops the windows fogging in the rain.

As is typical, the plastic levers for the blend door had broken. Fortunately, all the pieces were still in the car.

The plastic parts can be repaired. A bit of superglue to hold them in place and then a few hot staples to make the join permanent. It stood up to hammering the pins back in place so it should last.

I'm not so confident with the push pull cable operating it. The existing cable had bent too far to bend back into position without breaking it.

I used a length of aluminium wire (sorry, aluminum) in the existing sheath to make a new cable. It's all I had. It works very smoothly. For now. But the metal may be a bit soft for repeated use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a type of metal wire in case I need to make another cable?

The car is running well and is still fun to drive.

Cheers

Simon

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #461 on: July 23, 2023, 08:04:13 AM »

Sounds like you have been on quite a trip there. I'm also trying to get on going that sat for 20 years. If yours starts you're way ahead of me. I congratulate you on saving the car. Does it have a turbo?
Jack Byrd

Simon Courtney

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #462 on: July 23, 2023, 09:03:02 PM »

It's a non-turbo.

Production had finished when I bought it. One of the few remaining on a dealer's yard.

I think I was lucky. The car was kept covered while I was overseas. So other than the fuel tank rusting out it was in quite good condition.

I found someone who reconditioned the tank.

Engine turned freely by hand.

So, mine is probably an easier project.

Having said that, I would have spent way more than what the car is worth. But I knew the car's history ... if that makes sense.

The more I drive it the better it seems to run.

So no regrets.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #463 on: July 24, 2023, 08:47:36 AM »

Good deal
Jack Byrd

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
« Reply #464 on: September 04, 2023, 11:07:23 AM »

Its been a while since I’ve seen this question so here it is.
1.Name --> Joshua
2.Location --> Baldwinsville, New York
3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it? Originally bought a 91 Capri base auto car brand new at a dealership.  Then upgraded to a non turbo manual model.  Then upgraded again to an XR2 Manual I found and had shipped from California which instill have with 41,000 original miles.  I then found a craigslist post with 2 1991 Capri XR2 cars (1 with a hardtop and stand) for $1000.  Parted put one that was too rusty to save and kept the other 1991 which I plan to heavily modify.

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?
Dream car for me would be my 1998 Dodge Dakota RT FULLY restored and race prepped.

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)
 If they were to start over on the Capri I would make it rear wheel drive like the Toyota MR2 and Miatta.  Power convertible top.  Ditch the useless rear seat.  Upgraded turbo amd clutch system, better designed shifter linkage and put fuel tank filler behind the license plate.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]