TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Chassis Bracing  (Read 34045 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Chassis Bracing
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »

Response if good for all to know.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »

Wow thats rediculous. I hope everything turns out well with it.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »

They're on their toes!  They're confirming what I ordered, sent me two different messages thru eBay with two different rear STBs, one is adjustable, the other is solid (this is what I ordered).  I replied back to the message that had the correct rear STB.  That's all the message traffic so far, but I'll give them kudos for prompt customer service. 

socal1200r

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »

So after trading several emails last night, we decided that I'll keep this front lower strut bar, and they'll send me a rear upper STB for $119, including shipping.  So I figured what the heck, I'm game.  Once I get the rear STB, that should be fairly easy to install, certainly less than an hour.  After that's done, I'll crawl under the front and see how this thing bolts up...

Even though they got my original order wrong, I can't fault their attempts to make things right.  Would be nice if companies here in the States had the same level of customer service as a company as far away as this one in Malaysia!

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »

Glad they made it right! Yea I do agree their customer service is amazing.

socal1200r

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

Since I was so impressed with their customer service, and the front lower strut bar looked like a well-made piece, I also ordered the rear lower strut bar.  So I've got the lower front strut bar on hand, and the rear upper and rear lower strut bars are on their way.  Hopefully, it won't take but maybe an hour or two for installation, and I'm expecting some noticeable differences in how the car handles.  Hopefully, it won't be too stiff, since it's a convertible, so we'll see...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »

Keep us informed.

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »

What about frame bracing, like this?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »

Noone offers any frame bracing. Only UltraRacing still supports the BF 323 everyone else like Corksport gave up.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »

What would be the advantage over strut bars? I don't mind fabrication.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »

I would think it would help with the keeping the car from twisting. One thing ive noticed greatly without the Hardtop the Capri has tons of bodyroll, so any rigidity will help. Ive seen a few Miata peices that might work but im unsure.
With just strut bar stabilizers you really only affect the suspension. The main area of body roll is the unibody itself because how weak not having a roof has made it.

Im not sure how right I am I think someone with Rally experience could explain it better.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 10:36:42 PM »

Well, you're right on the money. The hardtop is really the completing piece of the rigidity in it. I just wondering if there's a way to emulate that underneath the vehicle rather than over. It was either this concept, or build a all in one roll cage that would mount in the existing holes on the header.

socal1200r

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

I should have the other pieces in time to install them all next weekend.  If all goes well, I might have to take some measurements and see if I could get any of their other pieces to work on my 1997 Subaru SVX.  I would imagine if the distance between mounting points is the same, and a straight bar or slightly bent one (like the front lower bar) would clear everything, it should work on my SVX?  All I'd have to do is give them those measurements, then they can see if they have a bar that would fit?  'Course I have to keep in mind the SVX is AWD, so that might limit some choices.  We'll see...     

socal1200r

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »

So here are the three pieces I got from Ultra Racing.  The top piece is the front lower strut bar, the middle piece is the rear lower strut bar, and the bottom piece is the rear upper strut bar.  On their website or eBay store, these pieces are all for a Mazda 323 BF. 

These pieces shipped VERY quickly, considering they came all the way from Malaysia to the east coast of Virginia.  They were wrapped in plastic, then bubble-wrapped, and the ends were wrapped in cardboard and taped.  There wasn't a scratch or dent on any of these pieces after I unwrapped them.  The pieces themselves seem to be well made, very sturdy, and nicely powdercoated.  If I didn't already have a front upper STB, I would've ordered one from them as well.  I attempted to install the front lower bar, but couldn't break the bolt loose, so I'm going to have a shop install the front and rear lower bars.  I would imagine an impact gun will make quick work of breaking those bolts and nuts loose.   

I installed the rear upper bar, and it fit perfectly.  Took more time trimming the carpet around the bar than it did to install it:   

As has already been mentioned with these products, they don't come with any instructions.  But if the fitment of the lower bars is anything like the rear upper one, all I'll have to do is point out where they go and let the shop do the rest.  There was one thing with the rear upper bar though that I wasn't expecting.  After I got the bar installed and the carpet trimmed, I put away my tools and stuff, and went to close the trunk.  Well, that wasn't going to happen, because the bar interfered with the struts being able to move so the trunk could close.  I had to remove the struts in order to close the trunk, so now I have to figure out another way to keep the trunk open.  I think my first option is to see if a regular prop rod will do the trick.  Find a place to anchor it, measure to see how long the rod has to be, then spend some time at Pick and Pull and get one that's close enough. 

I road-tested the car after installing the rear upper STB, and what a difference.  I could tell right away, the car was MUCH quieter, like having the hard top on quiet.  And it felt more "together", unlike the twisting sensation, squeaks, rattles, and other noises it had before.  The side windows seem to fit better against the top, so there was a lot less wind noise.  The front and back parts of the car seem more connected than before.  I'm expecting the car to really be solid after the front and rear lower bars are installed.  Might get that done tomorrow.  Whenever it's done, I'll try and take some pics, with a road-test impression. 

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 03:39:10 AM »

Nice writeup... any chance you could try putting the boot struts on a wider profile... like on either side of the new rear brace someplace ?
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5