TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Chassis Bracing  (Read 34011 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Chassis Bracing
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »

Any of the rear BF braces they sell other then the ones that connect thw hatch will work.  The rear struts have a different patern and ars farther apart in a BG.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

So what is the width difference between the back struts for the BG and the Capri

Or better yet, what fits / works for the Capri for rear strut bracing ?

This is the rear STB you need:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181861816249?ul_noapp=true 

Ultra Racing from Malaysia, rear STB for a Mazda 323 BF 2wd '86

socal1200r

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

Any of the rear BF braces they sell other then the ones that connect thw hatch will work.  The rear struts have a different patern and ars farther apart in a BG.

Is this another one of the braces you've got installed? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-323-BF-1986-ULTRA-RACING-REAR-LOWER-STRUT-BAR-2-POINTS-1-PC-UR-RL2-808-/180752777021?vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15b47f3d 

If so, where does this rear lower strut bar mount?

I used to have a Saturn Sky, and had a chassis brace up front, tunnel brace, and a rear lower brace of some kind.  Really tightened up how the car handled.  This rear lower strut bar looks pretty to install, depending on where it goes... 

Thanks

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

I have the front lower bar, I currently havent had the time to install it. It seems like it wont fit but im not sure. It seems as though the front Suspension is a slight bit different then the 323, due to our slighty different steering rack placement.

That bar you linked should fit, I have a picture of one installed on a 323, and the rear end for our cars looks exactly the aame as the 2wd 323. I would explain where it goes but I lack the proper terms.

Update: Link with pic http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Racing-Mazda-323-BF-2WD-86-Rear-Lower-Bar-Rear-Member-Brace-8ca-/311432156327?hash=item4882cd94a7%3Ag%3AM~oAAOSwPcVV3IAM&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad01100fb-006d-11e7-949c-74dbd18007fb%257Cparentrq%253A969fa7cb15a0a2abd3fe74b7ffff8598%257Ciid%253A12
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:04:14 PM by WashiestSnake »

Btown

• 1992 turbo clubsprint x 2
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »

Hi guys,
That's my car with the rear strut bar fitted. I compared with identical car and it just feels stiffer at the back, best mod for the price. You just need to modify the boot struts by adding a small 40mm extension.
Interested in the lower one too now :-)

Link to a Boot Gas strut mod
https://www.facebook.com/bernard.town/videos/10208214453189386/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:25:58 PM by Btown »
1992 Clubsprint x 3
Lowered, stiffened, boosted, chipped, fun
Daily Drive, 5.0 MY17 GT Ruby Red Mustang

Btown

• 1992 turbo clubsprint x 2
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »

I think im the only one here who has done any major bracing.

The braces I own are: Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar, Ultra Racing Lower Arm Bar, Rocketmans Front Strut Bar, and Ultra Racing 26mm Rear Sway Bar.

Ultra Racing makes a few others but I havent picked them up yet.

You have to cut abit of the carpit out to put the rear strut bar on.

Just search Ultra Racing BF 323 on ebay.
I havent installed the lower arm bar yet currently Im not sure if it will fit, it looks like its a inch to short.
So have you fitted the rear lower? that does look Like it will fit nicely. Also the Aussie Clubsprint has a 18mm rear and 29mm front lower swaybar. That 26mm rear sounds huge.
1992 Clubsprint x 3
Lowered, stiffened, boosted, chipped, fun
Daily Drive, 5.0 MY17 GT Ruby Red Mustang

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »

I have not fitted the rear lower, I was contemplating picking it up but I never did due to the AWD swap. If I was keeping the car FWD for anywhere longer then a year I would of bought it. As it looks right now im withing 6months of starting to the swap, I first need to get engine, and transmissions rebuilt/bought.

Just checked, its actually a 19mm bar sorry its beem awhile sense I looked at the page. Wish I could find a aftermarket front sway bar.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:28:07 PM by WashiestSnake »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »

So what is the width difference between the back struts for the BG and the Capri

Or better yet, what fits / works for the Capri for rear strut bracing ?

BG is a completely different chassis. We share chassis with the BF chassis 323

The rear BG knuckles are more like front knuckles, with just the mounting ear & two bolts. The BF strut runs all the way down behind the knuckle and has the trailing arm mount on it
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

socal1200r

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »

I have not fitted the rear lower, I was contemplating picking it up but I never did due to the AWD swap. If I was keeping the car FWD for anywhere longer then a year I would of bought it. As it looks right now im withing 6months of starting to the swap, I first need to get engine, and transmissions rebuilt/bought.

Just checked, its actually a 19mm bar sorry its beem awhile sense I looked at the page. Wish I could find a aftermarket front sway bar.

Ok, I saw on their site that they have a front AND rear two-point solid lower strut bar, so you must've installed the front, yes?  Do these braces come with installation instructions?  Depending on how the install of their rear upper STB goes, I might get their front and rear lower strut bars.  I figure adding these two lower strut braces, in addition to having the two upper strut braces, can only benefit the ride and handling qualities in a Capri. 

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »

Thats the main problem im having. These braces come with zero instructions. When I installed the RSTB, I went off the pictures BTown sent me. As for the front brace, I have no clue how to install it. Theres zero pictures on their website of it installed on a 323. When I contacted them they said it goes on the from LCAs, but when I tried to fit it, it was a inch too small. Once im done moving and I have the time ill try it again, because I only spent like 10minutes messing with it. One thing I had a issue with was getting the splash pan off because I was missing the socket, but now I have the sockets required, so getting to the LCAs should be much easier now.

Ill take a picture of the front brace, as its just in my garage. It looks exactly like the rear lower strut brace, but its too big to fit in the rear.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:44:10 PM by WashiestSnake »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »

That kind of brace installs to the front LCA bolts. You remove* them, put the bolt thru the cup, and then put the bolt back where it came.
FWIW, this style of bracing already exists on the Capri, in the form of two small struts/rods that bolt to the engine subframe. This piece will be stiffer, but may reduce your ground clearance.

*The LCA bolts are a colossal pain in the ass to remove. They're retained by a square nut hidden up inside the frame. The nut is held in place by a flimsy piece of sheet metal. Most rust a bit, and when you turn the bolt, it spins the nut, and bends the sheet metal piece out of the way, permitting it to just spin endlessly. They were designed only to be assembled at the factory, not with service in mind.

I have stuck my welder in there to put a piece of snot on the nut to keep it from spinning, this has had mediocre results.
I have seen capris where the frame has been cut back/peeled back to access the bolts. This allows you to jam something in there to pin in between the wall and the nut. I have done this, and re-welded the pieces back into place. This is a much more invasive, but reliable method.

It will be worth your time to replace the LCA bushings with urethane ones while you're in there. There is a thread here with part #s.
You don't want to do this job twice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:39:48 PM by Rocketman »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Would it be a waste of my time to install it considering Ill be going to AWD? What I mean is the front suspension able to be left pretty much stock during the conversion, or will I have to do a full swap from the GTX parts car.
Because in my opinion spending all that time just to have to rip it out would be a waste.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »

You will use a stock front suspension. The engine subframe needs to be hacked up & re-enforced to clear the AWD transmission, other than that the LCAs/knuckles/struts/steering rack all remain the same.

Clearance to the steering rack was very tight.
I made a custom rear transmission mount and poured a hard durometer urethane into it, to keep it from moving much and creating an issue. (no stock parts would have worked)

That said, you will probably have to dismantle the whole front of the car when doing the conversion. My mind is foggy on this detail, but I think I had the drivetrain in & out over 40 times checking fitment, modifying, and fabricating parts before it was settled into place for good. (it was in & out a good bit anyway, sometimes just raising it up out of the engine bay, others completely removing it & setting it back on the ground)

socal1200r

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 07:23:41 PM »

Rec'd a package from Ultra Racing today, but it was totally screwed up.  I ordered a two-point solid rear upper STB, and what I rec'd was a front lower strut bar, exactly like the one Snake posted.  WTF, over?!  Sent them a message thru eBay, let's see how they respond... 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5