TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Intake  (Read 3679 times)

alldsben

• 91 XR2 91 Miata 04 S10 89 Mustang
Intake
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

First off thanks for adding me and my 91 xr2. What i'm posting on here about is any information i can get about doing a full intake from a cone filter to the throttle body and if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. whether its basic or not id like any info i can get. Even if I probably already know some of it it doesn't hurt to remind me of things. Thanks in advance,

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Intake
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

Never heard of anyone doing that. I'm not sure how much it would help because you'd still be stuck with the same diameter tubing unless you upgraded the throttle body. You might also run into problems with the MAF sensor. People run cone filters all the time but you have to use a adapter to do so.

What I'd recommend is ditching the A/C and upgrading the intercooler this was you can run the pipe easier, and a larger intercooler helps keep temps down. If you're interested in the Rocketchip(it's a remapped ECU that allows higher boost) I'd do it very quickly, as Rocketman is going on a break soon.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

alldsben

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »

Never heard of anyone doing that. I'm not sure how much it would help because you'd still be stuck with the same diameter tubing unless you upgraded the throttle body. You might also run into problems with the MAF sensor. People run cone filters all the time but you have to use a adapter to do so.

What I'd recommend is ditching the A/C and upgrading the intercooler this was you can run the pipe easier, and a larger intercooler helps keep temps down. If you're interested in the Rocketchip(it's a remapped ECU that allows higher boost) I'd do it very quickly, as Rocketman is going on a break soon.

I am doing the intercooler as well. sorry if i hadnt made that very clear but i am doing it all. and i would like to get the rocketchip as well what do you mean by break?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

He just said he'd be offline for a while.

I've been wondering about extrudehoning the intake to improve the flow.  It also looks to me, maybe larger intake tubing might be an improvement.  There are also tubular headers available for XR2's.
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

Gotcha depending on the size of the intercooler you plan on running you might have to cut up your Capri to fit it. Search around on the Forum there is a few good threads about upgrading the intercooler.
Im 99% sure that if you can find a stock turbo Probe intercooler that it fits.

Make sure to read up around the forum, alot of us have broken stuff so you wont have to.
What is your HP goal, depending on what you want we can give advice.

One huge advice I have is make sure to do basic mantience before upgrading anything. Youd be suprised the amount of modied cars ive seen brake because something relatively easy like changing thermostat or timing belt snapping.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

alldsben

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »

Gotcha depending on the size of the intercooler you plan on running you might have to cut up your Capri to fit it. Search around on the Forum there is a few good threads about upgrading the intercooler.
Im 99% sure that if you can find a stock turbo Probe intercooler that it fits.

Make sure to read up around the forum, alot of us have broken stuff so you wont have to.
What is your HP goal, depending on what you want we can give advice.

One huge advice I have is make sure to do basic mantience before upgrading anything. Youd be suprised the amount of modied cars ive seen brake because something relatively easy like changing thermostat or timing belt snapping.

I dont really have any power goals specifically and i have also been working on a lot of maintenance with a lot more to come. But for me this is more just a fun car for me. i plan on one of the ebay kits ive read about on here a lot with 2.5 inch tubing. i plan on keeping the stock intake tube that has the several hoses on it that goes to the throttle body and right over the timing cover until i can get the tubing fabbed up with 2.5 inch and the hose connections. i know keeping that stock pipe would be kind of a waste since it is much smaller than 2.5 inch but as i said it is only a temporary thing.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:23 PM »

Run the 2.5" tubing - it will match up to the stock throttle body. You'll need to weld or buy a piece with a fitting on it for the BOV or BPV. (they can be found on ebay and the usual places)

You don't have to remove the A/C, but it makes it easier.

It may be easier to run 2" piping from the turbo to the intercooler inlet. The pre-intercooler size is not as critical

Use pipe from your kit to replace the tract from the VAF to the turbo, the stock piece is horribly restrictive.

You may need some odd couplers for the project, www.siliconeintakes.com should have what you need (No affiliation, but have bought a lot from them over the years - great stuff)

Either way, FMIC with larger piping is a huge upgrade, you will love the difference
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

alldsben

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »

Run the 2.5" tubing - it will match up to the stock throttle body. You'll need to weld or buy a piece with a fitting on it for the BOV or BPV. (they can be found on ebay and the usual places)

You don't have to remove the A/C, but it makes it easier.

It may be easier to run 2" piping from the turbo to the intercooler inlet. The pre-intercooler size is not as critical

Use pipe from your kit to replace the tract from the VAF to the turbo, the stock piece is horribly restrictive.

You may need some odd couplers for the project, www.siliconeintakes.com should have what you need (No affiliation, but have bought a lot from them over the years - great stuff)

Either way, FMIC with larger piping is a huge upgrade, you will love the difference

Alright, lots of great info. if ive read on here correctly the turbo is 1.75 on the outlet to the intercooler? Anyone know the size of both ends of that stock metal pipe that goes over the timing cover to the throttle body?

alldsben

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »

Also if anybody would know the sizes of reducer id need from the airbox to my 2.5 inch piping