TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Oil Leak at High Revs - Help  (Read 3295 times)

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
Oil Leak at High Revs - Help
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:32:09 PM »

Hi ,

Wondering if anyone has had this issue with an oil leak that seems to only occur when high RPM/Boost has been used - idling around town under 3000RPM doesn't seem to produce a leak.

It does leak a 4 inch diameter oil patch after parking - I believe there are some oil hoses which deliver to the pistons for cooling during higher RPM, but I am also uncertain about the oil catch tank next to the distributor and what it is doing..is this a surge tank?

My thought process is that the leak must be somewhere along these routes as it is appearing low on the engine and only at the rear (apparently) as best I can see so far.

I recently fixed a valve cover gasket leak so no oil high on the engine now.  I did replace the coolant bypass o-ring recently which required removal of a lot of hoses at the distributor end of the engine (I didn't want to remove the turbo/exhaust manifold) - wondering if I disturbed a hose end or cracked a hose associated with the surge tank?

Anyone had this type of condition before ?  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Oil Leak at High Revs - Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:45 AM »

Baby powder is your friend.

Casper

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »

I know it helps in other issues - just not sure how it helps in this case?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:12:57 AM »

The piston cooling oil circuit is located completely within the oil pan, so that's not going to be the culprit.

Check the rubber cap on the back of the oil pan - this was an unused OEM part, capped off at the facotry. Maybe this has failed?

Cam seals, crank seal, rear main seal, turbo lines - these are some likely candidates for a leak of this nature
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »

Thanks for the tip - sounds like another trip under the car.......

I need to pressure clean underneath first to hopefully see the start of any leaks.....

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »

That's what the baby powder is for. Just coat that shit. You're going to have to clean it off anyway, might as well get a definitive answer before you do it.

Casper

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:59:56 PM »

Well I have given it a clean - very hard to tell where it is from - it is not up high on the engine as that is all clean - it appears to be dripping into the engine support member under the transmission, then dripping on the floor but no idea for the source.

I notice the turbo supply line has some oil weep around it on top of the turbo - I need to check the oil return line but nothing apparent from feeling around (no real wet oil or anything).

I don't suppose it could be transmission related as the oil dripping seems very clean - it is dripping around the drain plug of the transmission as well.  But that could be just air flow movement from front to back...!!

Oh I love tracing oil leaks - just to add to that I have found the turbo coolant supply line has a minor leak at the bypass pipe.....new hose coming up......

The search continues........

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »

My N/A leaks from the shifter rod, but that's at the very back.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

If it's engine oil, it could be the rear main seal leaking from inside the bell housing of the transmission. It could also be the distributor o-ring, and travelling a long way down the block

If it was transmission fluid, it would smell different - ATF or Gear Oil is pretty distinct.
How are your fluid levels in the engine & transmission?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 11:15:12 PM »

It looks like engine oil as I have semi-synthetic oil in it currently and fairly new so it appears to be that. 

It is an intermittent leak - more driving has shown it seems to occur after longer driving sessions and not short trips - regardless of driving style (revs) so maybe not just a high revs as I had first thought.

The cross member underneath makes it hard to see where may be coming from - I will get the inspection camera out again to see in the gaps  for any new oil marks....

I have a Jeep with a 307 chev that has a rear main seal leak and similar symptoms after long drives it blobs out from underneath.  That seems to be possibly easier to fix than on the capri....at least on the youtube vidoes....haha