TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Welp, shit.  (Read 7765 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Welp, shit.
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:16 PM »

So, go out and start the Capri. But idling for about 2 minutes, then I look on the side of the block to see a little bit of bubbling happening around the head gasket area. Great news, I know. So I'm thinking arp head studs, Cometic gasket. Besides the obvious full engine seal set, if it only has a hundred and fifty thousand on it, would it be worth it to rebuild it, maybe put in forged pistons? Does anybody know if this thing came with forged pistons from the factory? If not, can somebody list part numbers that I will need for the head studs and the head gasket?

Also, a recommendation of Manufacturers on con rod bearings, would be nice. I was thinking King.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Welp, shit.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

IIRC the pistons arent forged but the conrods are. Ill post part numbers when I get home im at work right now so I dont have the time to search for them.

If you have the cash laying around id rebuild it, no use to put that much money in and then have to kill for a bad rod or something 10k later. From what ive heard King is the recommended brand as is Cometic. If you do the full gaskets just use Mazda brand gaskets the aftermarkets are generally worse then OEM. Really it all just depends on your goals if you want to keep or increase HP drastically id do a performance rebuild but otherwise id say youd be fine to leave it alone.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »

The B6t short blocks are tough as nails. If anything have the head freshened up. Honestly you can do that yourself. Get a spring compressor, like for motorcycle, I got one on Ebay cheap, a set of Super Tech valve seals and you want to just lap the valves back into the seats. Do not have them ground. Have the head cleaned and milled, go get some Miata head studs from ARP and your choice of gasket and slap it back together. The pistons are not forged but squeeze cast but plenty good with enough fueling.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »

IIRC the pistons arent forged but the conrods are. Ill post part numbers when I get home im at work right now so I dont have the time to search for them.

If you have the cash laying around id rebuild it, no use to put that much money in and then have to kill for a bad rod or something 10k later. From what ive heard King is the recommended brand as is Cometic. If you do the full gaskets just use Mazda brand gaskets the aftermarkets are generally worse then OEM. Really it all just depends on your goals if you want to keep or increase HP drastically id do a performance rebuild but otherwise id say youd be fine to leave it alone.

Any luck on that hg number?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »

Sorry Gaz I've been really busy last few nights, completely forgot. A few of my friends run this head gasket.
HG: https://www.flyinmiata.com/1-6-cometic-head-gasket.html
ARP Headstuds: https://www.flyinmiata.com/arp-head-studs.html

Those both should fit Flying Miata also carries other HG Incase you want to drop compression or anything. They both will fit as there isn't much of a difference in the head other then cam profiles and the intake manifold.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:25:03 PM by WashiestSnake »

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »

Now, on Keystone, I'm listing several cometic head gaskets for an xr2. Varying from .098 to .027 thickness. Stock is one millimeter or .040. Should I go with something smaller to raise compression? Or will I have to worry about valve Clash?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »

I think its a non-interference engine, so you don't have to worry about that.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »

Well...should I go thinner to raise compression, then? What y'all think?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 07:57:25 AM »

I dont see any reason why you couldnt/shouldnt go thinner. Youd gain a small horsepower increase and the car would be happier off boost.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »

Stick with the OEM thickness gasket. The compression increase won't be appreciable on such a small engine.

Changing the relation of the head to the block either through gasket thickness or block/head decking will change the valve timing ever so slightly, because it changes the effective length of the timing belt.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »

I would think that the tensioner would take up that slack in the effective length of the belt couldn't possibly physically change.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

I've thought of putting these T203a cams in it as well. https://jmautosports.com/kelford/kelford-racecams/t203a/i-222482.aspx

What other mild cams have been used for better grunt?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:52 PM »

Ive heard of people using Auto Miata cams for better lower end power.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »

The auto cam can be sourced from the n/a capri, too. It's the exhaust cam. Intake cams are all the same, I believe.

It does move the powerband down, at the cost of top end power. I ran one for a while thinking it would help the turbo spool faster, ended up putting a stock XR2 cam back in. I like the better top end power.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »

+1 on Matts comment. I took that sucker out real quick. There is a reason Mazda used the cam that they did.
Pages: [1] 2