TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions and upgrades for a 91 XR2  (Read 10152 times)

BiPoBro

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
Questions and upgrades for a 91 XR2
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:15:42 AM »

Howdy all! Me and a couple friends pulled a 91 XR2 out of a field in central Colorado where it had sat for 10 years, and surprisingly enough it didn't need much work to get going again. Things that were attended to and seemed to get the car up and running again were: New fluids and filters, tires, both halfshafts, front rotors & pads, rear pads, new spark plugs and wires, new turbo-back exhaust (the cat was clogged and we had to hack the exhaust to remove it anyways), new 170º thermostat, and a few wiring patches where rodents had eaten through important stuff.

At this point the car is running and driving quite well and we are looking to put some upgrades into it. And here start my questions.
1) What is a good blow off valve for this car? The factory system for controlling boost has failed and we don't feel like fixing it.

2) What is the most efficient way to modify the intake for more flow? (Exhaust is already at 2.5")

3) What is the maximum boost that we should allow out of the stock turbo, and what modifications do I need to make so more boost won't detonate the motor?

4) Is upgrading the intercooler worthwhile for what will ostensively be a DD that goes to a couple autocross events? If so, what would you recommend?

and 5) Are there any good or worthwhile upgrades that will improve the overall feel of the car? I don't necessarily need straight line speed.

This particular Capri isn't in very good shape as it sat for 10 years with no love. The folding top was beyond repair, as was most of the interior. As a result the car has been stripped of most of the trim. But... I still love the thing and it's almost completely rust-free. It's a blast to drive and I'm really trying to do everything I can to keep this one alive.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:20:42 PM by BiPoBro »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Questions and upgrades for a 91 XR2
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

Get the intake manifold ported and polishe that will increase flow, but for best flow have both the head ported and polished aswell.

Definetly upgrade the intercooler, IIRC you can use a early Probe GT intercooler to upgrade or you can buy a cheap one off ebay and hack abit of the front support to fit it.

Worthwhile upgrades would be upgrading Koni struts and Ground Control coilovers, while youre at it upgrade the rear swaybar to something bigger. Id also recommend  poly bushings for the suspension 4they make handling alot better but overall ride comfort sucks for the first couple hundred miles. I just installed all that in my car and it made things significantly better. Youre looking at around 2500 in suspension alone, but afterwords the car handles great.

The only thing I dont currently have out of that list is the Ground Control coilovers.

Also I recommend getting rid of the stock wheels and getting something in 15x6 or 16x6 that way you can run 205s.

Does the car happen to have a hardtop?
 If so take out the top, it will save you a good 50 pounds and helps with acceleration. I took mine out due to how battered mine was, and it was going to be a waste of money to install a new top id never use.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

BiPoBro

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »

I do have a hardtop! Heck, I even have the plastic stand for the hardtop. Like I think I said in the original post, the car has been mostly stripped, including the convertible top. There had been mice living in the car for who knows how long and the interior was just beyond salvaging. As for the wheels, funny story. My XR2 has base model Capri wheels as a result of an argument with the dealer this car was originally purchased from. The 14" wheels will be replaced in short order.

garlson

• Capri
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:17:38 AM »

Unless you prefer a complete custom intake, the drilled airbox method is a good upgrade.

BiPoBro

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »

Well it's time to bump this up to the top again. After 6 months of sitting on my arse I've finally realized that I'm not that great at working on cars and have decided to take my Capri to the professionals. I'm going to have a local speed shop do the entire intake and exhaust system as well as an aftermarket radiator, a new turbo, and an ECU. So my question here is, does anyone have recommendations for a small turbo and an ECU? We're looking to run 12-15psi of boost in the car. We're also thinking that a Megasquirt ECU is probably the way to go with this car, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm more than happy to listen

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Garret GT2560r is the turbo I recommend, many Miatas use them and make great horsepower numbers. As for ECU id stay with the Megasquirt its the best bang for the buck you can get, and tuning it is really easy.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »

Required reading..http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2867.0.html

You said small turbo? Idk that much about the subject but I really love my vj11/vj14 hybrid, and I'm not even pushing that much boost yet (10lbs.) almost no lag with a 7/8" waste gate port, MBC and 2-1/2" exhaust. Didn't need any expensive fabrication and with a Rocketchip I could go nuts, but I'm starting to think she's faster than I want to drive her already.

I figure that you'll want to go bigger if you are working with a $peed $hop. They will be glad to sell you some big boost.

I'd also recommend FlyinMiata.com for a source for internals like oil pumps and Pistons, ARP bolts and studs and Cometic head and oil pan gaskets.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »

Megasquirt is possible but the B6T in the Capri it is not compatible with the electronics as it sits. You will need to make complete ignition system and wiring changes. This will very likely cost you more than the car is worth. With the modest boost you want to run the simple VJ14/11 hybrid turbo and Rocketchip modified OEM ecu, which is good to 16psi, is all you need for a seamless, inexpensive and no maintenance answer to your goal, seeing that you are not the one to be working on the car.  Yes you will want to improve on the intake and exhaust for sure to take advantage on the above mods.

Surfnut

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »

I'm not trying to hijack but I found this video and wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this guy and this TBird hybrid option :

https://youtu.be/_Za8dvOeINs

I want to build in some power.  I have a big exhaust, custom air intake, a yet-to-be-installed Rocketchip and opportunity for intercooler upgrade.

I'm more of a low and mid-range driver so maximum power at maximum RPM's isn't overly important to me.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thank you,

Dave

Oh, and how much will a turbo like this cost me?
Thanks

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »

I'm with your Surfnut.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

Cost will all depend on how you source the parts. Likely you will need to find an IHI turbo from an 88-89 Turbo Coupe Tbird. And hoping the compressor wheel and housing are usable. Those are the only 2 parts from it you will need. Prices will vary, I have seen them from 100-300 in all conditions. They are getting harder to find though. Then take it to a local turbo shop and have your hybrid put together with a rebuild kit, a good cleaning and the having the rotating assembly balanced. I used to find them in wrecking yards and sell the parts for around 75.00. The shop cost can vary as well but I would figure 500. After this you will have a  pretty good turbo but better for mid to high rpm. It will not spool up until after 2500 rpms. The VJ11/VJ14 hybrid will be better for what you are looking for. Best would be to adapt a ball bearing turbo like the GT25RS Garret. Yes more money and a whole lot more involved to make it fit the B6t. These spool up quick and have the punch for 250hp. That is the most I would want put thru the  G series tranny.

Surfnut

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »

Thank you very much.

After MUCH more reading and research, I've concluded that the VJ-11 / 14 hybrid is a better fit for what I'm looking for so I really appreciate you confirming that's a better direction for me to go.

I think I will start a fresh thread on this when ready to start.
I've found all the turbo terms confusing and the lack of pictures/videos in one place makes all of this intimidating so a DIY thread for other dummies like me will be useful.

I intend to start with a manual blow off valve (recommendations / links would be greatly appreciated!!).   I'll install my Rocketchip ECU and we'll go from there.

Thank you again!

Dave

P.S. - I have not yet installed the 5th gear set I bought from you a bunch of years ago but that's on the list too. 
Currently, the car turns 2250 RPM at 60 MPH so it will be interesting to see what engine speed I'll end up with after the gear change.

ShelbyZ

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »

Thank you very much.

After MUCH more reading and research, I've concluded that the VJ-11 / 14 hybrid is a better fit for what I'm looking for so I really appreciate you confirming that's a better direction for me to go.

I think I will start a fresh thread on this when ready to start.
I've found all the turbo terms confusing and the lack of pictures/videos in one place makes all of this intimidating so a DIY thread for other dummies like me will be useful.

I intend to start with a manual blow off valve (recommendations / links would be greatly appreciated!!).   I'll install my Rocketchip ECU and we'll go from there.

Thank you again!

Dave

P.S. - I have not yet installed the 5th gear set I bought from you a bunch of years ago but that's on the list too. 
Currently, the car turns 2250 RPM at 60 MPH so it will be interesting to see what engine speed I'll end up with after the gear change.

IIRC, there is a guide somewhere on MX6.com for building the "T-bird/VJ11" hybrid. The directions would be pretty close to the same for doing the 11/14, except you're putting the VJ11 wheel and compressor housing on a VJ14 instead of the Tbird housing/wheel on a VJ11.

I'm sure if you supply the whole VJ14 as well as a VJ11 wheel/housing to a reputable turbo shop, they could put it together, clean everything up and assure that the rotating assembly is properly balanced. I would also make sure to open up the wastegate outlet on the turbine housing as much as possible, to help rid any "boost creep" that will come along with the bigger exhaust.

Do you mean manual boost controller? Some blow off valves can be adjusted for holding higher boost, but they don't really do anything for raising or controlling the boost. A manual boost controller is what you would be looking for to get to that 16psi.
2008 Honda Fit Sport
1994 Dodge Dakota Sport V8
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T

Rod Bacon

• 1993 XR2
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:47:01 AM »

I run 15 PSI on the stock turbo, no issues (chipped, of course).

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

Any of the IHI RHB5 hybrids are done the same way, no difference at all. 15psi on the vj14 is doable but not as efficient as it could be. After 12psi or so they are starting to run out of steam and just push hot air. There are better options with your chip and a little upgrade. Maybe in NZ your ambient temps help it out but at least here in the desert that could be a recipe for some issues.
Pages: [1] 2