TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 91 capri xr2 new turbo white smoke  (Read 3629 times)

james198950173

• 91 mercury capri xr2
91 capri xr2 new turbo white smoke
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

hey... I'm kind of new to this site... posting  for my dad... he is on his second Capri finally got a turbo. he got a great deal on it it was the guys baby... the guy just couldn't figure out why he got a new turbo and he couldn't make it quit smoking and I mean white smoke almost anytime you punch it or go around tight turns.... we've had the car for a year now and I have been on the forums and forms looking 4 answers few other things it does is... it doesn't seem to have a blow-off loud noise...also dont seem to hold boost very long while accelerating and if it gets into the red you will feel a few ugly jerks almost hurting your neck...OTHER THEN THAT IS A QUICK SOLID CAR...MY dad is a prettty good mechanic he jus dont have the knowledge about turbos....any info wouldbee much appreciated...kinda running outta options...any thing i left out  that help our issue please ask thanks again ...james

was hopping to get some suggestions
forgot to mention oil leakss from exausht slowly..if you on a cruise there will be oil splatteredall over back.
and previous owner had car front end lowered a lot thanks again
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:12:49 PM by james198950173 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 91 capri xr2 new turbo white smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »

The intercooler + intake piping is probably loaded with oil if the old turbo was bad. When driving this will get sucked into the intake and burned. They need to be removed & drained/cleaned

White smoke might point to coolant - does it lose coolant?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »

Note that oil out the exhaust could also be because oil is being puked out the breather port in the valve cover. It turned out that my original VJ14 wasn't dead after all--something is causing the breather port to vomit the oil contents of the engine. Stock, the breather is routed to the pre-turbo intake tube, which then flows into the turbo compressor and on into the intercooler, the intake, then the engine. It gives you the same intake and exhaust symptoms as a bad turbo.

I only found this out because I put an air cleaner on the breather port later on and found that lots of oil left my engine via said air cleaner and went all over the underside and rear of my car. ::)

As for the cause, I can only guess. My guess at the moment is bad valve cover baffle seals, but I honestly don't know. Best of luck.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »

I agree with Rocket on this one. I could post a pic but it takes too long. I got around a quart out of my intercooler when my turbo's oil seal blew. Pull the intercooler. It can be done without dropping the front bumper, but you have to loosen the bolts and bend the center intercooler support a little if you want to try it that way. The intercooler is mounted with 2 bolts that have rubber isolators so, they can be frustrating to free up, but you must dump it and wash it down with degreaser and dry it out. If you want to ditch it for a newer design linear straight-through one, this might be a good time. But that means fabricating the intake piping and cutting some holes, something I didn't want to deal with at the time, so I am still running the original intake setup with a breather on my valve cover vent which isn't dripping, but something else is.

Also, I wonder about your boost control. The kickback you describe sounds like running lean - not something you want to repeat. It will quickly disintegrate your pistons if that happens much.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

james198950173

• 91 mercury capri xr2
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

Thank you for all the replies ...we still have the car it's sat most of the winter....sadly he drives it every now and again....still lightnng fast...still smokes tho...forgot to mention EALIER oddly enough seems to really smaoke when taking a 20 25mph turns ( sharp turns..).theres an intersection by us that gets us alot.Otherwise its hit and  miss when i smokes...sometimes bad at startup, sometimes ...what smoke..

..He (my dad) says its uses oil... THAT cylinder  3 maybe bad.... we 9 the smoke iss oil....may be oil sitting somewhere..my dadd is alil nervous to go poking around turbo wise. this is his 1st turbo capri. this car seemed to be the previous owners baby....he had a lil tin shed fullvof parts with it....I'm talking three of everything.cars has been lowered, painted and larger exausht  ..previous owner said he took it to differenr mechanics trying to fiqure the smoking out. finnaly hee  said after a year of sittin he hadda move differnt state sold it to us on cl...had tears in his eyes when we pulled away.. 
now weve had the car a year...thanks again

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »

Your symptoms remind me of the 76 Chevette my dad (Buick mechanic) re-ringed for me (and repeated the process). We had the same symptoms, huge white smoke on right-hand turns. After the second rebuild not solving it I begged my dad to ask the Chevy dealer guys about it.

Eventually he caved in and the parts counter guy asked what kind of PCV valve was in it. We replied that it was a brand new aftermarket brand (well known, but I forget which). He replied, "I'll get you a pink top". Apparently GM had enough trouble with these that they marked them with a pink top, indicating an OEM valve WITH THE INTERNAL BAFFLE. All that to say, see if your Mazda dealer can get the PCV valve for an 88 323 turbo (search TeamCapri for verification on the year). Unfortunately my Mazda dealer says they are no longer available.

However, before. You do, did you check the intercooler? If it was not emptied when the turbo was last rebuilt, it is sloshing oil over to the suction end of it and when the oil is deep enough it gets sucked into the intake.

If it isn't that, find a plug for the 5/16" valve cover vent S shaped hose (driver's side of engine) and plug the end that goes into the plastic flex pipe (close to the VAF). Detach the other end from the valve cover and put on one of those $10 auto-zone breather filters. If your smoke stops on those turns, you found the problem. You either have massive blow by, or the valve cover baffles are not sealed properly. 

Check that PVC, (at least try a replacement as a test), then the breather vent, then the intercooler full of oil. It can be any of these. I don't remember your first posts on this but you should also pull at least the charge side of the turbo inlet plastic piping and look for oil, then push on the compressor wheel and see if there is shaft play in-and-out, or wobble play. Either one means get a new center cartridge or have it rebuilt if possible.

Don't give up, but don't be chicken to take off some piping and investigate. There is nothing tricky about re-assembly of the hoses, piping. Report back on those 3 things and we'll try to advise.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »

Note that if your smoking out the exhaust stops because you put a breather filter on the breather port, there is a good chance that the breather is also going to puke vast amounts of oil all over the side of your engine and thus the underside of your car. Just fair warning not to do something like, oh, drive 400 miles with the breather port in that condition. Ask me how I know. ::)