TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Car Dies In Cold  (Read 2031 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Car Dies In Cold
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »

Alright guys im currently having this problem with my car completly draining of juice in the cold.  I drive her 16 miles a day and I can see on the battery gauge that its charging I just replaced the battery so I know its not that.  No lights or anything are being kept on or anything.  Im guessing its the altenator going out what are your opinions? The thing is this only ever happens when its like sub 40 out.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
Re: Car Dies In Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »

...put a meter on the battery with car running to ensure Alt. is putting out 13.5+ Volts...mine puts out 14.1+ volts or have any of the auto parts stores check it for you for Free......another thing you might want to check is your "Head Light Motors", sometimes they will continuously try to seat..watch the "turn knob" to see if its nudging back and forth  while the head lights are down....in the mean time you can buy a battery cut off switch for 4or5 bucks easily installed in minutes until you find the cause of your problem..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:31:20 PM by NiteLord »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Car Dies In Cold
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »

Turned out to be the alternator like I thought, I picked up a new one along with one of Russ' non-squeek belts and it has gone away.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)