TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Swap the cruise control  (Read 3162 times)

mcanchola2

Swap the cruise control
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »

So after finishing the whole swap of an XR2 car to my N/A and making it turbo.. i was curious to have cruise control on my N/A swapped the steering wheel, cables, control box under hood, and i think if iim not mistaking a colorful gold like box that goes behind center console... is there any thing else that i need to make this work since i didnt see any dedicated fuse for it...  is connected i was just wondering if there was and inticator on the dash console that inticates that the cruise is ON.

Update12/14/2016: to does that were not aware of it, there is a section on techcapri that covers step by step trouble shooting for the cruise control link is below

http://techcapri.com/ServiceManuals/1991/Group%2037%20-%20Speed%20Control.pdf
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:06:55 PM by mcanchola2 »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Swap the cruise control
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

I dont believe cruise control works on a manual transmission. I could be wrong though I just dont see how it would work.  The thing is every Capri ive seen with cruise has been auto. I posted a link to a wiring diagram in the na to turbo swap page so check those pictures the location will be listed there. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:21:25 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

mcanchola2

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »

Yes they were and if im not mistaken all XR2s came with cruise control. Like i stated in my previous post my 1992 XR2 donor car had it

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:51:36 PM »

My manual 1994 NA has cruise control.  Works well when I'm cruising on I-75 going 85 mph.  Feels like I'm going 110.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »

I dont believe cruise control works on a manual transmission. I could be wrong though I just dont see how it would work.  The thing is every Capri ive seen with cruise has been auto. I posted a link to a wiring diagram in the na to turbo swap page so check those pictures the location will be listed there.

Automatics run the cruise control off a speed sensor, while the manuals run off the engine tach signal.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »

Automatics run the cruise control off a speed sensor, while the manuals run off the engine tach signal.

The manuals run it off the same speed sensor from the gauge cluster. There's a proximity switch in the back of the speedometer that provides the VSS signal.
I have tapped into the VSS to get a GM heads up display unit working.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »

I guess this is another way my car is unique, my cruise runs off the tach wire.
I also disabled the clutch switch so I can shift gears and the cruise control will hold the engine rpms.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »

I guess this is another way my car is unique, my cruise runs off the tach wire.
I also disabled the clutch switch so I can shift gears and the cruise control will hold the engine rpms.

Im assuming you have the stock cruise control?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »

How would you go about hooking up a cruise indicator light on the dash?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd