TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: valve replacement on XR2  (Read 1956 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
valve replacement on XR2
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »

Hello all,
been awhile since ive been on. Hope everyone is well... Got a new issue, and sure could use some wisdom from my friends here.  I just found out i have a bad valve in one of my cylinders. The mechanic said there was no damage to the piston fortunately, or head.  He wants $800 to repair it (including parts). I think i will try to tackle this repair myself.
Any advice before i dive in ?  Even where i can get the new valve, and guides from...
thanks ,
deewoody

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
Re: valve replacement on XR2
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »

I would be willing to buy a  used head with valves also, if someone has a good one.
deewoody

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »

Looks like my post didnt go through  :o
    Anyway my opinion was that the price is exorbitant, the price for a new head is 250 on ebay considering that I would take it somewhere else. The Capris engine is non-interferance meaning that you can't "drop a valve" like he is saying. Doing a valve on these cars isnt that hard either you just need to make sure everything is spec'd correctly. Rocketman on anyone else should be able to give you a farelly well written guide on it.
-Until then Ill search around on Miata forums, and Club Protege for a guide.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

I'm in Deewoody's boat. Buy a re manufactured head (readily available from the Miata market) and drop that on, can be done in a weekend.

If you buy a head for a Miata, the'res a water passage that needs to be blocked. Their thermostat is in a different location
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"