TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Air bag diagnostic module  (Read 3719 times)

lazermydog

• 93 Mercury Capri
Air bag diagnostic module
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »

I have had the dreaded air bag light blinking 4 times. I would like to replace the Air bag diagnostic module. I can get one from a junk yard off of a compatible Ford vehicle. Has any one replaced their module? If so how do you get to it? I know it is behind the fuse box but it is really tight under the dash.
Any help would be appreciated.

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
Re: Air bag diagnostic module
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

Before you go replacing the module:

Use a good contact cleaner like CRC QD contact cleaner. Then spray some control cleaner and lubricant ( like  MG Chemicals NU-Trol or Deoxit fader lube) on the connector. Do this with all 3 front arming sensors and the module connector. Reconnect and see if you still have the same problem.

Does the cruise control work? If it stopped working as well then you probably have a bad SRS clockspring.

lazermydog

• 93 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »

Thanks.
I will give it a try.

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:11 PM »

I've got a similar issue:  no cruise, and my airbag light does the 4 blink thing intermittently.  I'd like more information about this clock spring thing, if someone would care to enlighten me.
Thanks!

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »

This will tell you what the clockspring is and what it does.

If yours is bad you will have to replace it. I don't believe they are available new anymore. Some technically inclined people have successfully rebuilt theirs.

http://www.airbagcenter.com/airbag_clockspring.aspx

rls120

• 1991 Mercury Capri xr2, 1994 Wrangler, 1994 Saab
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »

Thanks for the information. :)

JJ

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

Mine is now doing same thing. well, the airbag (4 blinks) did since i bought the car...

for the cruise, there are holes in the brake/clutch pedals that need to be covered to activate the switch...i duct taped a penny there and it worked fine for a while. then stopped again and also horn stopped. found bad horn relay, so replaced that with new.. then cruise worked again...

now cruise stopped again and the horn still works, but not sure why.... man i miss cruise.