TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: blower motor alternatives?  (Read 2291 times)

urbex

blower motor alternatives?
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »

Decided it's about time I figured out why the heater/AC blower in my car hasn't worked since I bought it, was told by the PO that it just suddenly quit working one day.  Went through the normal troubleshooting steps - check fuses, check switch, etc, and got to the point of putting 12V direct to the blower motor when I found that it just wasn't there.....beginning to think that the PO gave me quite a few "little white lies" lol (but for a $450 car that runs and drives, I'm certainly not complaining)

Anyways, checked with the local auto parts stores to find that it's a special order item, with a price tag of roughly $85, plus another $20 for the fan cage, and surprisingly Rockauto.com wanted _more_.  According to Rockauto's cross reference, only the Nissan/Datsun 210, 510, and the Capri used this particular motor, which seems awfully odd to me.  Not exactly a part that would have to be designed just for these two (completely different) cars.  

So that said, are there any other cars that might also use these motors that I could check the junkyards for before shelling out $100 just to have heat half a dozen times this year, or even something that could be made to work with minimal modifications?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »

Check the resistor pack in the bottom of the air duct around the motor. Many times this resistor disintegrates and you're left with no or only setting on the blower.

I can get a pic for you if needed.

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

urbex

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »

I could be wrong about this....but I'm fairly certain even a brand new resistor pack isn't going to make a missing motor operational.