TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Adding bulbs to the inner two lights on a 91?  (Read 8446 times)

Bitter

• My friends Capri is a thorn in my side.
Adding bulbs to the inner two lights on a 91?
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »

I bought some T10 sockets to repair the rotted light sockets up front and I'll have some left over. I see there are bosses cast into the back of the inner light sections but no lights, has anyone added lights to there to give more tail light? I grabbed some 18 3014 SMD LED red T10 bulbs for the purpose and the rubber sockets can be snapped into holes about 14mm around so physically I think I can make it work, I just don't know if it'll work optically. Looks silvered inside though.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Adding bulbs to the inner two lights on a 91?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »

I've done it. It looks dope. Just use 1156 or 1157 sockets  and mill the housing to fit with a drill or router bit. Wire either the brake light and/or running lights from the existing harness. Mine is set up with 1156s to come on with the brake lights.

Bitter

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »

Thanks, I already got the T10 sockets and some pretty bright T10 red LED's so I'll try those first. They draw about .1 amp each so there won't be any additional draw on the charging system, I'll just wire these with the tail lights. If it's not good enough then I'll go for some real 1156 or maybe 'clone' the outer lights with 1157 bulbs. I can probably use a hole saw and a hot knife to make the cutouts for the locking tabs. Did you have the filaments horizontal or vertical?

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 09:53:13 PM »

In relation to the backing surface of the assembly? perpendicular. It's as if they were meant for it, mah dood.

Bitter

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »

Nah, in relation to the filament in the housing, not the whole bulb. I see what the back of the housing looks like, got that. I only need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the back of the housing to pop the T10 sockets in so if I get that centered correctly it wouldn't be hard to enlarge it to take a larger socket if needed.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46:35 AM »

I guess I'm not sure as to what you're referring, or why it matters... I just cut holes for the sockets and threw them in.

Bitter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »

Typically lamps are optically designed with the bulb turned a certain way since light doesn't radiate evenly from a bulb with a transverse filament. It may not matter much or any in this application.

pilotlars

• 1993 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »

I actually did the same thing to mine 3 years ago before it sat in the car park for 2 years... I was suprised that area seemed to be made for a bulb but none was there. I had an extra harness from my Mazda 323 so I used one of those sockets and 1157 bulbs, it looks great!