TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Cant change gears..help.... :(  (Read 4417 times)

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
Cant change gears..help.... :(
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:21:42 PM »

Hi,

I have noticed on my manual N/A that gears were getting harder to select at times in particular 1st and second - my initial reaction was to press the clutch further and try and engage a gear through juggling through various gears.  My wife has just rung to tell me that it is now stuck in reverse gear - she only had trouble with reverse when I had mentioned this a little while ago.

I am just wondering if anyone may have had a similar problem - I was going to check the shifter bushes under the gear stick first this weekend but it looks like it has beaten me to it...! I don't know if it is a gear stick linkage problem or more serious in the gear box...?  The car is a 93 model and has done over 320000km but up til now has been running fine.

Any thoughts appreciated....

Paul

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Cant change gears..help.... :(
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »

Soundslike your clutch went out. The same happened to me 1st and reverse would have a real hard time engaging, then I would rev and would barely move. After that I had to replace the clutch.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:48:03 PM »

More than likely the clutch slave or master cylinder. N/A uses hydraulic clutch. It's just not disengaging because something failed
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »

Thanks for the pointers - will get under the car to have a look tonight.....

Casper

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:44:08 AM »

We actually got it out of gear to drive home but still very clunky - will check the clutch slave cylinder as the clutch just feels a bit wrong - I keep pushing it to the floor but not like a clutch failure itself.  I had checked the master cylinder fluid level previously when it felt a bit wrong but all was good at that end.

I noticed in the workshop manual online that there is a selector mechanism in the transaxle that seems to be only accessible with removal of the transaxle cover (which seems to require a good portion of parts to be removed) - is this right?

Casper

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »

Yep - definitely clutch - pressure plate is failing/failed - hence reason for pushing pedal to the floor.  Only 37000km (about 22000miles?) from a clutch over 5 years - maybe for daily town driving not too bad given lots of gear changes.....(I try to be positive about these things.....)

I must admit this is the longest duration I have had any specific car so entering unknown territory on some of these wear and tear issues......

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »

If you're not mechanically inclined don't do the clutch by yourself its a real pain to do. Make sure if you or whoever does your replacement checks the clutch master cylinder/replaces it they're only 120$.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »

When clutches generally fail, they slip and won’t allow the car to move at all, but you can still shift into gears. With only 22K miles on the clutch, it’s probably ok.

If the clutch reservoir is still full, then it sounds like the clutch master cylinder is most likely bypassing.
Had my clutch master go bad a few years ago, it started out as having issues shifting. If you sat at a stop sign with the clutch pressed and the tranny shifted into gear, within a few seconds you would see the rpms start to drop and the car would creep forward.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »

When clutches generally fail, they slip and won’t allow the car to move at all, but you can still shift into gears. With only 22K miles on the clutch, it’s probably ok.

If the clutch reservoir is still full, then it sounds like the clutch master cylinder is most likely bypassing.
Had my clutch master go bad a few years ago, it started out as having issues shifting. If you sat at a stop sign with the clutch pressed and the tranny shifted into gear, within a few seconds you would see the rpms start to drop and the car would creep forward.
Agreed sounds like a clutch master cylinder, but he should get a clutcb replacement done just as matanence.
BTW Casper the shifting linkages in the trans should never break without something horrible going wrong in the case ie a whole gear exploding from a burnout or something.

Casper

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 01:24:02 AM »

Yes I should stop doing burnouts in my N/A ......hahaha :)

The clutch pressure plate was broken not the actual drive plate - that's why I couldn't engage gears as the clutch wasn't actuating correctly.  I have had the other type of clutch failure before with the drive plate wearing out and having the bunny (or should I say kangaroo) hopping at take-off....neither is any fun for driving or my wallet :(

Casper

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »

Still drama's.....new master cylinder and clutch - gear shifts are better but attempting first gear (or any gear from cold startup) is troublesome - clutch still feels like it is not engaging.....have taken back to mechanic to check again.....a first thought was maybe new gear oil was too heavy for gearbox? 

Mechanic just phoned and has said it was pedal adjustment required (which was not done) after new master cylinder was installed - hence why it felt I was only getting half pedal feel (pushing all the way to the floor still).

We'll see what is it when I get it back........

Casper

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »

Yes - pedal adjustment was required - I knew it was not right and pushing too far to the floor.....

Now back to enjoying no-roof driving - sunny 23deg C here in South Australia so a beautiful day for no roof driving......its been a long wet winter this year :(