TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Red front and rear bumper trims?  (Read 8686 times)

Bitter

• My friends Capri is a thorn in my side.
Red front and rear bumper trims?
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »

I'm questing for the right stuff to replace the front and rear red rubber strips that sit above the gray trim on the front and rear bumpers. The red strips on the doors are mostly still red, but the rubber strips on the bumpers are blackened or even silvered in some places, buckled, and cracked with a chunk missing up front. It really kills the look of the car pretty badly so I'd love to find something to replace it with that'll fit and look right but I'm coming up with nothing. I'm sure the part is long since discontinued, is there something else that's the same or similar that works? The rest of the car isn't exactly a peach but this sticks out like a sore thumb, and having it bright red again will really pop out nice since I've blackened the gray trim with some ForeverBlack dye.

Bitter

Re: Red front and rear bumper trims?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »

You all know what parts I'm talking about right? I can get pictures if needed or if someone knows what to clean them with to scrub out the black maybe I could try that. I tried light sanding with high grit, plastic prep cleaner, clay bar, rubbing compound, and as a last ditch some acetone which just seemed to melt it a little bit...not trying that again!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »

Just paint over it with pin stripe paint.  I'm going to do mine in yellow.

Jack
Jack Byrd

Bitter

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »

;D I guess that works for the rear. I'll have to ask her what color she wants then, maybe white?

But for the front where it's buckled out/bulged and is missing about 4 inches of it I think I need more than just paint. I need to replace the front one for sure.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »

Can you pull the damaged piece out and paint the channel?  They make a similar piece for motorhomes, but it's like 3/4" wide.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Bitter

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »

I'm sure it'll crack and break and come out in chunks if I try to take it out, it looked like there were holes and slots behind the channel.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »

Looks like there might be some replacement bumpers in your future. 
Jack Byrd