TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The rise of the Blue Turd  (Read 15307 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
The rise of the Blue Turd
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »

So I bought my '92 Capri base a few weeks back and immediately took it to Ford for an inspection. I let them know that I wanted it to be checked out beyond what the state requires and they did. The only thing that failed it was a missing sway bar connector; so far, so good.

The next day I drop it of at my brother in law (my mechanic) with the needed part to fix it and told him to go through it as well. He texted back "Don't know who is doing inspections at Ford but they should be fired!" Well, that wasn't something I wanted to hear but it was what I needed to know. Several weekends later and my sway bar is fixed, along with the half shafts, the front rotors and calipers and brake hoses. Tomorrow he tackles the non-working rear brakes and will then show me his priority list. I will be driving this jewel 150 miles a day to work so I want to make sure it is right, I just hope I can actually get to drive it before the snow starts.

My personal plans are to remove the back seat and make a place for my service dog Oreo, replace the front seats, body and paint in the spring and then put a Cadillac 8.0l in it.  OK, maybe skip the last one.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: The rise of the Blue Turd
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »

So I bought my '92 Capri base a few weeks back and immediately took it to Ford for an inspection. I let them know that I wanted it to be checked out beyond what the state requires and they did. The only thing that failed it was a missing sway bar connector; so far, so good.

The next day I drop it of at my brother in law (my mechanic) with the needed part to fix it and told him to go through it as well. He texted back "Don't know who is doing inspections at Ford but they should be fired!" Well, that wasn't something I wanted to hear but it was what I needed to know. Several weekends later and my sway bar is fixed, along with the half shafts, the front rotors and calipers and brake hoses. Tomorrow he tackles the non-working rear brakes and will then show me his priority list. I will be driving this jewel 150 miles a day to work so I want to make sure it is right, I just hope I can actually get to drive it before the snow starts.

My personal plans are to remove the back seat and make a place for my service dog Oreo, replace the front seats, body and paint in the spring and then put a Cadillac 8.0l in it.  OK, maybe skip the last one.
I removed the backseat on my car, the gastank is right underneath it, so you might want to make something that can keep it safe.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

My67falcon

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »

Would a board covered in carpet work?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:19:52 PM by My67falcon »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »

Yup it should, depending on the weight of your dog. Im building one currently for my car.
 I know in Australia the Clubsprint model had that very thing as a rear seat delete ill try and post pictures of it later.

My67falcon

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

Thanks. He's a long haired chihuahua so size isn't an issue. He's an emotional support dog for the facility I work at so he gets to ride with me every day. I'm just wanting to keep him out of the wind and sun so I will put a small covered bed back there for him.

Went back to the part store last night, brother in law in tow. They sold me 2 right side calipers for the front and I needed to get the rear rotors turned. My BIL told them to make sure they have the clips for the brake pads because he didn't want to reuse the bailing wire that was on there now. They chuckled but I sadly had to inform them that he wasn't joking. Not sure what moron was doing the maintenance on the blue turd before I got it but brake work was not their strong suit.

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

Sounds like you need a capote, that covers the back seats nicely from the sun and wind.

I'm sure your chihuahua would appreciate that...

Check it out on my pic below
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

My67falcon

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »

Project Blue Turd has slowly begun. I now have a red 1992 XR2 fully running parts car to help with the build. After looking over the parts car, we (brother-in-law and I) have decided to not salvage the XR2 as the Michigan winters from which it came has done its damage to the floor and body panels along with the numerous undercarriage items that will inevitably pop up.
So far my plans are to swap front seats out, rear seat delete, swap trunk with spoiler out (removing the XR2 logo because I’m not that guy), put new tires on the XR2 rims and put them on the Blue Turd, header panel and front fender and hood swap (better shape and zero dents), paint the red hardtop blue and modify the cup holders so they are deeper. The XR2 motor will be swapped into Ol’ Blue but we are going to replace all the easy to get to gaskets and the hoses whilst it is out. My brother-in-law rebuilds trucks and trailers for JB Hunt so his mechanical, welding and body work skills are rather good. That being said, we will be in need of help from this site when we do the swap as the most minor of wire screw ups or sensor misplacements can ruin ones day.
I will be putting about 40k miles a year on her so on top of the fun factor reliability is a priority. We don’t plan on going crazy with the build but with any luck I will have a fun commuter that stands out (more than a Capri already does).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:04:57 AM by My67falcon »

My67falcon

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

Started fabricating the new cup holders today.

My67falcon

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

My67falcon

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »

Here's the Blue Turd (with Jake From State Farm the wonder cat) and the parts car.

20170328_192208 by my67falcon, on Flickr

20170401_104105 by my67falcon, on Flickr

20170402_101025 by my67falcon, on Flickr

My67falcon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »

New plugs, wires, cap/rotor and flame thrower. Got a little carried away with one of my .96 cent cans of closeout PlastiDip on the intake tube.

I am going to swap body parts soon. How do you remove the header panel (nose)? The red one is completely dent free.

20170513_181839 - Copy by my67falcon, on Flickr

Little Red is starting to sacrifice for the greater good of the Blue Turd. Changed the awesome rope battery holder out for a factory one. Not as cool but a tad safer.

20170513_165437 - Copy by my67falcon, on Flickr

Had a friend stop by to see how things were going.

20170512_182502 by my67falcon, on Flickr

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »

The header panel doesn't come out it's welded to the rad sipport.

My67falcon

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »

Well crap 😕

My67falcon

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »

How do you get the pin out to remove the door. The one for the thingy that keeps the door from opening to far. I've tried a hammer and punch but it doesn't want to move. Also, disconnecting the door wiring harness....any suggestions before I screw that up?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »

Hmmm, can't say I've ever pulled them on this car. IIRC, I might have beat them out of the 94 I stripped, but maybe I just gave up and sawed them off. The key to driving them out would be solidly securing the flat straps against your blows, say by shoring up under it with a steel pipe the right length, or maybe a hard piece of lumber like Douglass Fir. Then again, why don't I just walk out to the garage...

Ok, I can take a body hammer with a pick end, place the flat head end (or a punch) on the bottom of the roll pin and drive it upward by striking the pick end with another hammer. It moves pretty easily on my car. It looks to be larger diameter on the top side than the bottom, makes sense, shouldn't drop out, must be driven upward.

HTH
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.
Pages: [1] 2