TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Top to bottom IC  (Read 3094 times)

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
Top to bottom IC
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

Reposting this as a new topic, didn't get any responses from where I posted it originally, in a REALLY old thread...

So if I'm following this correctly, the "top to bottom" IC, like this one, http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front-mount-intercooler/top-to-bottom-intercooler-p-208.html?osCsid=6783a0233c5a45624f0ff5ed9f5d928d , should be a suitable replacement for the stock XR2 IC unit?  I realize it's about twice the height and over twice the width, but is there room in the area where the stock IC is for something like this to fit, and still keep the AC and anything else that's around that area?  The reason I'm asking is I put an FMIC on a Saab 900 classic turbo I used to have, and it was a nightmare.  I had to remove the headlight wiper motors to route the piping, cut up the bumper, and cut up some other metal to get it to fit properly.  I'd rather not have to do that with the XR2. 

If my math is correct, the surface area of the stock IC is about 58 square inches, with a volume around 144 cubic inches.  This bigger IC has a surface area of 237 square inches, with a volume around 830 cubic inches.  So this newer IC has 4 times the surface area and almost 6 times the volume?!  That's gotta do wonders for the charge going to the intake!

I'm probably going to remove the stock airbox and fit a Uni dual stage foam filter on the MAF sensor, and really think hard about this bigger IC.  At "only" $170 for the IC, and probably having to get a pair of straight 2.5" couplers and a pair of 90-degree elbows to connect to the stock soft pipes, this should give a lot of bang for the buck, provided it's not an absolute nightmare to install?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Top to bottom IC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:40:45 PM »

IMO that'd be a tough fit in the stock spot. There's some brackets and head panel supports to work around.

The stock piping is also really small. The crossover pipe over the valvecover is 1.25" ID, and is beneficial to increase the diameter of the piping.

See if Corksport still makes their bolt on intercooler for the 323 GTX. The GTX intercooler was mounted next to the radiator, vertically, but i believe it is the same part.

This is how I routed my intercooler. I had to cut a hole in the driverside for the piping.
I believe i had to lose some of the AC components but clever routing would work around them

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »

IMO that'd be a tough fit in the stock spot. There's some brackets and head panel supports to work around.

The stock piping is also really small. The crossover pipe over the valvecover is 1.25" ID, and is beneficial to increase the diameter of the piping.

See if Corksport still makes their bolt on intercooler for the 323 GTX. The GTX intercooler was mounted next to the radiator, vertically, but i believe it is the same part.

This is how I routed my intercooler. I had to cut a hole in the driverside for the piping.
I believe i had to lose some of the AC components but clever routing would work around them

@Matt What size intercooler is that? Im looking for one for my build.
RIP Corksport no longer stock GTX parts as of http://www.corksport.com/blog/goodbye-323-gtx/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:32:21 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »

Call them. Sometimes they have old stock sitting on the shelf.

I don't know what the dimensions are on that FMIC, it's been so long. They're probably here on the forum somewhere
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has removed the vertical strut holding the standard intercooler for a larger intercooler - I am trying to keep stock look with larger intercooler - I have removed A/C radiator and will also remove the smaller A/C fan.  I have the clubsprint front spoiler whic I dont want to cut into if I can help it.  I was looking at same end outlets on an intercooler - long narrow version.

Casper

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »

trying to post a photo of the strut

Casper

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »