TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Boost controllers, MSD ignition and boost settings  (Read 3996 times)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
Boost controllers, MSD ignition and boost settings
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »

Hello, I'm looking at getting my head around which type of boost controller to get for my xr2 B6T, with the VJ 11/14 hybrid...

What type of boost controller do you use, and what type of boost settings do you use on the electronic controller, has anyone tried the RPM boost settings ?

How does a MSD ignition 6 AL rev limiter affect boost rev's ?

Aaand, how does the Rocketchip affect boost, including Rev limits...

You guys are great !  ;)
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Boost controllers, MSD ignition and boost settings
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »

For a electronic boost controller I would recommend a GFB G-Force II they are made in Australia!
 Not sure how it works/feels with the rev range considering I have a N/A, but its what I' ll be running on my car.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:06:51 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:58:15 PM »

Yes, gotta support local manufacturers these days, although I am always tempted by Japanese made quality...

Like the Greddy Profec Oled electronic booster, aesthetically it looks awesome and can be uupgraded with a racing boost mapper add on for even more precise boosting... like from RPM and by gear shift...

The GFB G-Force II is cool looking, and has similar features to the base Greddy Profec Oled, but requires a vacuum hose from the unit through the firewall, whereas the Greddy has a separate unit in the engine bay with a shorter vacuum hose connection to the turbo. Not sure what difference that makes, but I read somewhere having shorter vacuum hoses can make the readings more accurate.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »

The Rocketchip doesn't affect boost in any way. All it does is give you correct fueling for higher boost levels so that you don't blow up the motor, and raise the rev limit to 7200 RPM.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

I use an old school manual boost controller made from plumbing fittings. I've uploaded a picture of it to the forums here somewhere.

Let us know how you get on with the electronic boost controllers - I've heard many folks have issues with theirs on a Capri/323 with the stock turbo. It seems to spool too fast for it to respond and reliably control boost levels
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »

Necro'd.

Sure seems like any boost controller will cause boost creep. I have a dual stage controller that doesn't agree with my un-ported wastegate. I think even if I were to have the stock exhaust on, that wastegate must be just BARELY adequate for these cars.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »

The only real solution is to port your wastegate
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »

I went with a 13/16" hardened steel drill bit and finished with an arbor to obtain 0.86" and leave enough overlap to handle the 1.02" flap (which wiggles a bit on the Revit it is mounted to). That works really well with my 2.5" cat back system (which had given me issues even when I had the stock turbo). Now, I'm running a vj11/vj14 hybrid turbo on it and never see boost creep. Pretty much any change to the stock exhaust will cause boost creep if you don't enlarge the waste gate throat.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.