TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Bumper removal  (Read 1892 times)

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
Bumper removal
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »

How difficult is it to remove the bumpers to get them repainted?  I'm assuming they're just plastic bumper covers, so hopefully they won't be that difficult to take off and put back on, and I can just drop them off at the paint shop?  The paint shop said if I can drop off the bumpers, so they won't have to remove/install them, I'd save a good amount of money. 

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: Bumper removal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 06:16:09 PM »

Not too bad. There are about 8 plastic screws that hold a ferring to the bottom of the bumpers. These will require a medium Phillips head and a tiny straight blade screwdriver to remove. The Phillips is to gently turn the plastic screws with while you wiggle the straight blade between the head of the screw and the plastic clip it screws into (seems that the plastic threads are never good enough to back the screw out without trashing the head). Once you get them started out and you can get a grip, you can usually spin or just pull them out.

With the clips gone, there are two 10mm bolts inside each forward wheel well for the front bumper. Those must come out but don't trash the plastic liner. They will likely snap off unless you live in AZ. Plan on visiting the body bolt and clip section in your auto parts store.

Use a lot of PB Blaster and a torch if things are really rusted (just keep the flame away from flamibles and watch it). Put PBB on and let soak a few hours then heat. Another trick is impact. I like to drive a socket on with a hammer to vibrate the connection some and help free things.

If you didn't guess already, I live in Michigan.
The last 3 bolts (2 nuts, one bolt) each side are directly to the unibody frame and are 15mm IIRC.

The rear is similar. Start with the front and you'll figure out the rear once you get some experience.

Hope this helps.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

socal1200r

• 2000 GMC Sonoma LT4/T56; 1973 Porsche 914
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:06:39 PM »

Thanks for that!  Doesn't sound TOO bad, provided the hardware cooperates while being removed, lol! 

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »

I was wrong about the last 3 bolts on each side. They are 13mm nuts and two face foreward and 1 is backward, at least on the front bumper right and left sides.

I haven't looked at the rear in a while but I think the bolts or nuts are in the trunk.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.