TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: New and saying hello.  (Read 3207 times)

My67falcon

• '11 Fx2, '11 Lincoln MKX, '95 Trans Am, '92 Capri
New and saying hello.
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »

Hello all.

After looking for a new commuter for a while I came across a 1992 Capri and thought what the hell. I had a 2001 Focus with around 250k on the clock that I gave to my daughter a year ago and it is still running fine. The Toyota Camry I replaced it with didn’t fare so well so I thought I’d head back in the Ford direction.

I know the Capri is more a hodgepodge than a single brand but hey, so am I. Got a base 5 speed in blue with 109k on it and a newer top. Divers seat is a bit worn and she has a few dent’s but I have found a solution to the other minor issues like the oh so sloppy shifter and the total lack of heat. My next plan is to start looking for a donor car with the hard top. I figure I can strip it down and store the parts while taking my time rebuilding the motor for the inevitable replacement as I drive 150 miles a day to work and back.

As for me, I live out in the Missouri sticks and work in Olathe Kansas so if you see an old fat man in a blue Capri on the south side of Kansas City wave, that will be me. Years back I started using “My67falcon” as my forum name and though I no longer own that beast, I have kept the name.  I’ve always had a soft spot for quirky or unusual cars. My first ride was a Dan Gurney Cyclone Spoiler so my love for Mercury’s runs deep. I’ve had a Merkur Scorpio, Lancia Fulvia, Ford Falcon and a Nissan Pulsar so I’m use to the “hard to find parts” dilemma and truly value a site like this.
I look forward to talking to the fine folks here and hopefully will be able to help a few people out.

Thanks for having me
Falcon

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:19:34 PM by My67falcon »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: New hand saying hello.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:18:13 PM »

Welcome!
Ask anything on here we all should be able to help. This forum is 10 years old so using the search function can help you find a fix in most cases.
I hope you enjoy your stay on this forum and I wish you best of luck with your car!
Mike
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

My67falcon

Re: New hand saying hello.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »

Thanks. It failed inspection due to a missing sway bar link so I decided to do a few more things to it before I go back. New brake rotors and pads all around, new CVs and the aforementioned shifter bushings should be in soon. Can't wait to start getting good mpg again.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: New and saying hello.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:36:17 PM »

So glad Minnesota doesn't do inspections.

My67falcon

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »

Latest update on the blue turd. Brother-in-law did a great job replacing rotors, calipers, brake lines, cv's and cleaning the heater core  and in 0 degree Temps I am 2/3 warm. Defrost and dash heat works great. No floor heating at all. Any ideas?

Also, getting 32 mpg on winter blend in sub freezing Temps. Is that about average?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »

Latest update on the blue turd. Brother-in-law did a great job replacing rotors, calipers, brake lines, cv's and cleaning the heater core  and in 0 degree Temps I am 2/3 warm. Defrost and dash heat works great. No floor heating at all. Any ideas?

Also, getting 32 mpg on winter blend in sub freezing Temps. Is that about average?
For base Capris average is 30mpg, but most people make way more. I myself get around 33/34mpg, so id say your right on the money. Alot of it has to do with driving style and the tires you have on your car.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:05:26 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)