TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: My 1991 field find Capri XR2  (Read 7255 times)

BiPoBro

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
My 1991 field find Capri XR2
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »

Well, I managed to find a couple pictures of my Capri before I started working on it (Since I don't have any right now :P ). This is a field find Capri XR2 in the state it was rescued in September 2016. The car belonged to a friend's parents who parked it up over 8 years ago, and their cost for the car was "get it out of the yard." I'll definitely get more pictures when I can. Also, massive thanks to my friends that are helping me with this project as I would be completely lost without them.

Currently this car is at 105k miles and is both being daily driven and being turned into a little autocross car. I hope to drive this thing for a long while.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: My 1991 field find Capri XR2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »

Looks like great for how long its been sitting.

Are those heat extractors/vents or is that just a
vinyl/paint?

Good luck fixing the header panel its alot of work, but in the end its well worth it.

I run auto-x aswell and I regulary beat Miatas and similar cars. The only cars that beat me are turbo Miatas, and the like. I recommend getting a 26mm rear antisway bar, Exel G struts, drop springs/Ground Control coilovers, poly bushings, front and rear strut bars.

The only mod I dont have out of those are the coilovers and thats going to be fixed soon. My car has very little body roll and handles like a dime. I need to upgrade my wheels and tires to 16x7 and 205s that should help alot.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »

That is an unbelievable find, good luck with it.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

BiPoBro

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »

WashiestSnake, if you're referring to the black stripes on the hood, those are just paint. In the very early stages of the project, (See: before the engine was running) one of my buddies decided that we needed speed stripes and I said why not :)

As for the suspension, the plan is to take care of that after we get the engine squared away. The turbo is in need of a rebuild and the factory boost recycling doesn't work so the motor likes to try and overboost. I also need to get new wheels for the thing, the base model Capri wheels just aren't cool enough :P

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »

Paint the wheels black and put a red stripe around the outside edge to dress them up while you're working on everything else.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd