TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: 1991 Capri First gen split speedometer cable, 4EAT-B auto trans  (Read 3441 times)

lazarus1328@gmail.com

• 1991 Mercury Capri

So I have had this Capri for a decade plus. Owned the old school german unibody before this girl. So any who. Had the auto trannie rebuilt a few years ago. So like perhaps 30 thousands miles ago. Changed the filters out and such waaaaay ahead of time. This lady always shifted smooth and silkey. Daily driver for years. Never has let me down. So I drive home from work the other day, she shifts like she always does. Next day, I get in, knew right away the rpm's were off. So basically it starts in third gear. No check engine light, no nothing. I have driven this car enough, I know every sound. I think I working with 2nd and third gear. Manual shift that use to lock out forth and key set the tork converter is non responsive. I'm guessing the chases ecm exclusive to the automatic.
 Very specific, in drive with no manual shift on it is basically starting in second. No Check engine lights or anything. I can manually shift, 2nd and third, no slip. First and forth seem nonexistent. It is as though no shift pattern exists for the auto trannie. So to be more specific, no slips, trannie perfect before this one day. Fluid is perfect, almost like water verily pink, clean and clear.
I suspect no chassis computer running the trans. This is what I get for error codes also. Just wanted a second opinion if it exists. Thank you guys, I love my polar white capri. She kicks ass and seldom lets me down in many years, I mean many. Never had a broken clock or glove box latch, or door latch problems like many speak of. She is awesome, Just saying.

lazarus1328@gmail.com

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: 1991 Capri First gen split speedometer cable, 4EAT-B auto trans
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »

Help guys. An expensive part. Any input would be helpful. Thankyou much. :) :)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:03:47 PM »

Wish I could help, Ive never been around auto Capris. I have heard there is a tranny computer for the auto but Im not 100% sure that was a thing back in 91.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »

The 4EAT is electronically controlled and running in 2nd gear is “limp home mode”.

I would start by checking the electrical/ground connections at the tranny.

lazarus1328@gmail.com

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »

will do, thanx. I can manually shift gears, but that is it.

lazarus1328@gmail.com

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »

So waiting on new chassis puter for the auto trans. Everything else is double checked and fine. Will update once I replace.