TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1991 Mercury Capri questions  (Read 17212 times)

kev1968

1991 Mercury Capri questions
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »

Hello all Im new here I am from Indiana
I just got a 1991 capri about 2 weeks ago
it was a one owner and has been garaged its
whole life..   the car has a blown head gasket
my questions are..
1. do i need to replace the head bolts?
2. I haven't been able to find any new ones  :(
3. I am in need of a 1991 haynes repair manual
and can not seem to find one...
4. I will post pics of this car..
5. I need to know the ins and outs of this car
as I am a capri noob.. lol  
6. I just received my new parts this morning I am replacing the head gasket, the water pump, the thermostat, the fuel pump and of course the valve cover gasket...  and new belts as well...
I can not find the mark on the crank in which I have read that needs to be TDC or 12 o'clock  is the mark on the pulley or behind it?
if any one has some pics from their manual they would like to post I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks for any info and letting me join this club I can't wait to drive this car......  

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »

Welcome to Capridom!! You're going to LOVE driving that car, that I can promise you!!

I can answer a few of your questions, but not all of them, so here goes...

1. Not sure
2. One of your best sources for parts is Russ Carlson (CapriTypeR on this forum. caprityper@gmail.com) Also MidCounty Mustang (http://www.midcomustang.com)
3. There is no Haynes or Chilton's manual for our car. You REALLY need to invest in a Ford Service Manual. They come up on ebay every so often, or you can see if another member has one available.
4. Can't wait to see them!!
5. Keep reading the posts on this forum and check out the Facebook groups. We have the pleasure of having some of the most knowledgeable Capri owners and mechanics in the world on this forum.
6. Check out www.techcapri.com for digital versions of almost all of the Capri Service Manual pages for the 1992 model year. All the 1991-1993 Capris are almost identical, so that info will work for your '91 as well. Also, I am pretty sure there have been pics posted on this forum for setting your timing. Do a quick search and if you can't find what you're looking for, just post up a question and someone here will be more than willing to help you!

Again, welcome to the forum!!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

kev1968

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »

Thanks for the info I will be sure to check out all the sites you mentioned and will be posting pics of my capri as well.. Thanks again...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »

You can re-use the stock bolts. They are not TTY.

The TDC mark on the crank pulley is on the inner timing cog. It will line up with a metal vee cast into the oil pump. This is all behind the accessory drive pulleys.

If you're in Indiana, you're not too far from the MACG! Get it put back together, it's not too far off!

Welcome to TeamCapri!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

kev1968

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

Thanks so much Rocket I was worried for a minute.
Yes I hope to get it all back together this week if everything goes well..

Captain

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/capritain
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »

I got 1993 Ford Capri Service Manual for $8 from Ebay.  I dont know how much different it is from earlier years but it helped me.  If you need to look up something and techcapri doesn't have, I could maybe scan particular page for ya.
91 Mercury Capri
Capritain @ Cardomain.com

kev1968

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

Awesome thanks Captain.. if u could post a few pics of the head removal that would be so cool.. so far I removed the radiator, the power steering pump, the pulleys from the crankshaft and the alt.. I lined up the TDC on the crankshaft.. I removed the valve cover.. I took off the plug wires of course and the dist. and broke loose all the head bolts and removed the exhaust manifold... I just need to see if I have all the bolts out that need to come out and if there is anything on the fuel rail that needs to come off... any pics on this process would be a huge relief as well as the torq for the valve cover bolts and the crank when I go to resemble them..
Thanks again...

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »

If you do buy a Factory Service Manual, make sure you get the 1991 version. Almost twice the info as the other years. It is an invaluable tool for the Capri owner! They can be a bit pricey, but worth every penny. Contact me if you are interested in purchasing one...I have several available!
Welcome to the forum! You will love these little cars!
Also, as Rocket mentioned, the 10th Annual Mid America Capri Gathering is August 13th, in Freeport, IL!! If you own a Capri, you NEED to go! You WILL have a great time! Go to CapriGathering.com for more info.
If you are on Facebook, join the 1991-1994 Mercury Capri Owners Group. Lots of good info to be found there, as well.

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

kev1968

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »

Thanks Capri, I will sure plan on going if I am up and running that soon.. I will keep it in mind that you do have a 1991 manual...  How do I post Pics on here or do I have to do that in another forum?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »

You can post pics by uploading them to a site such as Photobucket & pasting the "forum" code here. There's a sticky thread here with some more specific information.

It sounds like you have most of the major stuff out of the way.

You'll want to remove the bolts on the Intake Manifold Brace. It supports the manifold from underneath. Leave the fuel rail in the manifold, it's not necessary to remove it.

You can check out my website: www.werbatfik.com
Scroll down to my "capri progress" pages. The pictures are archaic, but I leave them up as they are a decent reference. I have some other useful info there too.

-Rocket

kev1968

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »

Thanks Rocket, just spent the last hour checking out
your web site very cool and helpful I must say I like the wiper motor that you installed for tail gaters.. haha funny stuff..  loved all the pics of your progress very detailed...

kev1968

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »

Does anyone have a pic they could post on the 1.6 non turbo on the head removal I just want to make sure I have all the bolts out that need to come off as well as any sensor and plugs... Never done this job before.. Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »

The pictures I have on my website should suffice. The N/A is not much different as far as disassembly goes

kev1968

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »

Thanks Rocket..  How hard is it to make a non turbo a turbo? is it possible?  just curious.. Have the day off today so will be working on the capri..
and is there any sensors that commonly need replaced in the 1.6?   Thanks again for everyone's help..

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »

To do a proper turbo conversion...it's fairly involved, I've done it before. It's worth it to look around for a cheap XR2 to fit up. You'd need one anyway as a donor. There's plenty of threads here discussing it, search for it  

The ignitor module in the distributor is known to go out randomly

Pages: [1] 2