TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Bumper Question  (Read 4099 times)

Capritain

Bumper Question
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »

What other cars uses the same inner bumper(the heavy metal part) or shall I ask if I want to modify a outer bumper to fit Capri what make and model could donate to my project? The one I was working on broke into half, not worth patching.
91 CAPRAI N/A 5-Speed
D-town, Iowa

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Bumper Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »

The only bumper cover I think that could be modified to fit would be a 1979-1993 Mustang. The Foxbody Mustang is about the size of a Capri, but would be a real bitch to get to fit.

As for the metal part I have no idea I don't think any American Ford would share parts with it. The only thing I could think that might work would be a 1988-1989 Mazda 323 Hatch, because that's what the Capri was based off.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:24:28 AM »

Pretty sure the inner fiberglass bumper is specific to the Capri

You can get creative with fiberglass and bondo and make a lot of things fit, there have been dozens of different bumpers adapted to fit. They all look weird. haha
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Capritain

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:12:21 AM »

That is what I was working on,  fiberglass 240sx bottom attach to upper Capri but the plastic Capri part is broken willbe pain in the As to fiberglass.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:19:19 AM by Capritain »
91 CAPRAI N/A 5-Speed
D-town, Iowa

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »

You can get that trim peice from Russ, he stocks them. As for doing the back of the bumper that can be done with bondo or fiberglass I had to do that on my car.
Also I like it, I plan on getting a second set of bumpers, so I can make a custom set of Clubsprint style bumpers.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:17:24 AM by WashiestSnake »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »

Fiberglass and bondo aren't a good idea for this type of thing because bumpers flex and they don't.  SEM makes adhesives to bond and repair these bumpers and also a woven mat to reinforce the joint or repair.  There are also welders that join or repair plastic bumpers.  There are staplers that create mechanical joints.  They melt a staple into the plastic and leave the legs sticking out to be cut off.   I've been out of body repair for a while, so there may be more and different systems out there.  Check around with local body shops or at your community college body shop.  Most shops will only be slapping on new bumpers but some will be repairing bumpers not available on the market.  Remember, as rigid as steel is, after a while, both fiberglass and bondo cracks.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »

Fiberglass and bondo aren't a good idea for this type of thing because bumpers flex and they don't.  SEM makes adhesives to bond and repair these bumpers and also a woven mat to reinforce the joint or repair.  There are also welders that join or repair plastic bumpers.  There are staplers that create mechanical joints.  They melt a staple into the plastic and leave the legs sticking out to be cut off.   I've been out of body repair for a while, so there may be more and different systems out there.  Check around with local body shops or at your community college body shop.  Most shops will only be slapping on new bumpers but some will be repairing bumpers not available on the market.  Remember, as rigid as steel is, after a while, both fiberglass and bondo cracks.

Jack Byrd
I knew that about bondo,but didnt know fiberglass was bad, considering they make fibergalss bumpers. I just used what I had at the time to fix my car. I plan to go back and fix it properly whenever it cracks.
@Capritain Be careful with covering up the vent whole because youll have a real pain with getting air to the radiator that way.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 01:06:41 AM »

Where are you located? I have several here, available....
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!