TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Capri reverse problem! SOLUTION!  (Read 2807 times)

PeterJacob91

• 91 Mercury Capri, 05 chevy Z71
Capri reverse problem! SOLUTION!
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »

When it comes to solving transmission issue's I'm really no help. ;) So when my 91 Capri sat for a few weeks, I got in and reverse wouldn't work I was sure pissed. >:( I spent hours researching, looking at part breakdowns, electrical schematics, you name it, I tried to use it :(. So when I checked all my i's and t's, and nothing worked I was more upset than I even was. So today I thought about something way off topic, You see, My Capri has a low Idle (Haven't adjusted yet) about 500-600 rpm's. So I thought maybe, just maybe that's the problem ??? . So, knowing that a healthy Idle is about 1000 rpm's I tried it, I set the idle there with my pedal and also put my foot on the brake, Thinking please god! Let this work PLEASE!!! I shifted into reverse, I took my foot off the brake and the Idle dropped like a rock. I pushed the gas, Reverse was there.... but the motor bogged down... I then remember, That damn Parking brake, I lowered it, and poof* I inched back. I did a 10 foot test. (10 ft forwards, 10 ft back) I did this about 15 times and all is good! I don't know why this may be, but I would be curious to know! I assume the computer is sending a "DON'T GO TO REVERSE"  signal to the transaxel so the motor doesn't stall, but I'm not sure. So Please! Let me know! ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:08:36 PM by PeterJacob91 »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Capri reverse problem! SOLUTION!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

Sounds like you will need a new Auto transmission, but i know nothing about the Automatics I only have messed around with the manual Capris.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

PeterJacob91

• 91 Mercury Capri, 05 chevy Z71
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »

I sure do hope not. I would be pretty surprized if I did really. I just drove it 76 miles today and it handled just fine. So I hope it doesn't go on me! I really don't think it will though

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »

Hey Peter make sure to also ask this question on the Facebook group 1991-1994 Mercury Capri Owners Group. Most of out members here arent very active like I am, and im pretty sure all of our active members have never had a Auto Capri. On this Facebook page their is a large amount of people who should be able to help.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)