Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Engine & Drivetrain Swaps

G-Series Transmission/GTX Transmission Info

(1/9) > >>

WashiestSnake:
Can someone give me an idea about how much torque a G-Series tranny, and the AWD GTX tranny can take?

I'm new to this whole drive train swap/engine stuff. Is it possible to put stronger gears in these transmission? Sorry If i'm asking stupid questions  :-\ .

I'm trying to get a good idea at what i want to use in my build, so any help/info is awesome!

azgtx:
Depends what you are going to do with the car. The BF awd g series is not noted for strength but it is all in how you use it. Personally I have never broke one but I don't abuse them. Clutch drops and banging gears will not do for very long. The BG awd tranny is said to be tougher and it has a viscous coupler in the center diff but it mounts differently. There are reported cryo treated gears made in Australia by Albins I think...extremely expensive. Xtrac dog boxes were used when these cars were in rally use. Again very rare and expensive and I know of only 2 units left that have been reported. If you are using a b6t you are not going to make big power unless you plan to spend large money so I wouldn't worry to much about the tranny unless you are going to beat on it...just make sure you get a good one as they are getting hard to find as well as a rebuilder that is familiar with them.

WashiestSnake:
Well the thing is im going to be using the BP motor with a Flyin' Miata 2.0 stroker kit, and if i can get it to work a Jackson racing supercharger. If thats not possible ill be using a  Garret GT2560, so i'd be making around 285hp out of the stroker motor. So in your opinion would it be better to just upgrade my N/A Capri to a FWD G-series, or the AWD G-series? I realize the AWD swap would be pretty hard. Im also planning on running a Megasquirt 3, I see no reason to swap to a Rocketchip/XR-2 ecu, when i could use a standalone.

azgtx:
If you using the BP then use the G series for the 1.8L. The 1.8 is tilted 11* to the front and the trannies are set up for that. FWD or AWD.

WashiestSnake:
Thanks azgtx your a great help  ;D !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version