TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: alt  (Read 3618 times)

RIC

alt
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

I have 1991 capri and the alt. put out 16 amp and sometime the battier light comes on. when
I frist but it in it work fine it put out 14 amp and no battier ligh came on then started to act up I took it out and had it check it was ko  so I put it back in and in a week it started to do the same thing.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
alt
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

HUH?
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Yuri

• Old-Timer
alt
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »

OK being born and raised in south-eastern Wisconsin has given me the gift of being able to translate from Wisconsinite to English:

"I have a 1991 Capri and the alternator was putting out 16 amps with the battery light sometimes being on, and sometimes being off. When I first put in the alternator, it was putting out 14 amps and everything was fine (no light). But then it started to act up, so I took out the alternator and checked it... it was good, so I put it back in and it worked fine for about a week. But lo and behold, the same issue started to happen again. Can you all-powerful, all-knowing masters of the Capri help me identify the cause and solution to my predicament?"

Stan

alt
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

Do you mean amps or volts

Stan

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
alt
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

sounds a lot better. clean or replace battery wires. have you ever noticed your clock resetting time?

when you get the light, disconnect the battery. if the car dies then the ALT is bad. check for volts inside the car while it is running. good place for this is the stereo. it has 2 sources of 12 VDC. see what it is there. maybe your battery is bad and when there is a load put on it the volts drop too low. shooting it at the battery will be the highest and if you shoot it inside the car you can lose volts due to the resistance of the wires and current draw
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible