TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Headlights do not illuminate  (Read 7541 times)

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
Headlights do not illuminate
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »

Hi,
I have just purchased a 94 Capri non turbo, and I cannot get the headlights to illuminate. The motors bring them up, the switch turns on every other necessary light, but do not turn the headlights on. I've swapped a total of 3 headlight switches, and checked the power and it seems to be getting 12v.
I am completely lost, if you have any advice, let me know
Thanks!

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Re: Headlights do not illuminate
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »

Just checking here, but have you tried to apply 12V to the sealed beams' prongs directly to see if they come on?

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »

No, I have not. Originally when I got the car, they worked fine, but then two days later they did not work. I bought 2 new sealed beams and put them in, and still nothing.  So I m not sure how much that will help. Thank you for the advice !

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »

If it helps, the "Flash-to-pass" switch does not bring up my lights (obviously the lights do not work but does not even go through the motion). Also, the Instrument panel back light for speed & tach do not light up. Dim switch, then, does not work either. The clock and radio lights do turn on with the first stage of light switch.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:36 AM »

You've gone through the two fuse boxes and made sure they're all solid as well?

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »

Yes, I.e the box under dash, and the under the hood. All are good and not blown.  I guess I'm going to replace the combo switch and dimmer, since these seem to be in line with the headlight harness. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »

There are two separate 12V circuits that go to the headlight switch. A red wire(headlights) and white/red wire(park/dash lights). 

The headlights not working and flash-to-pass not working too strongly hints that you don’t have 12V on the red wire going to the headlight switch or to the combination switch for flash-to-pass.

You’ll need to check the fuse “HEAD” located in the fuse box in the engine bay.
If the fuse tests good, then check the electrical connector of the red wire coming out of that fuse box (electrical connector only has the single red wire) and it runs into the driver side fender going directly to the headlight switch & combo switch.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:55:06 AM by chrispoe »

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »

Ahh ok! That's the issue. I'm only reading 3-5volts from the head fuse connector. Would this mean that the connector box would be bad (I'm receiving 12 volts to the other male blades in the box) or the red wire connected to it?

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »

Ok. I'm getting 57mv from the solid red wire. Do I need to cut open the harness and trace back this wire to figure out where it is leaking?
Thanks again!

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:45:39 PM »

The red wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse box in your pics is the correct wire, and should have 12V.  If you don’t then either the fuse is bad or the fuse may just be making a poor electrical connection.

Have you tried pulling the fuse and reinserting it a few times? You might get lucky.

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:23 AM »

Yes, tried re-inserting it multiple times. I took the wire out of the box to be sure of a clean connection and found the connector to be half broke/corroded. Although I am hoping this connection was the only issue, when I tested the wire itself without he connector, I was still receiving very little power. Also, I am now in search of another blade/wire connector.

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »

Ok. I have cleaned up the fuse box, chopped off some of the old red wire and have tied in a new one. I am now receiving 12v from that wire.

The issue is still there. I do not have headlights. Good thing is, I have fixed the red wire. ha.. ha...

So, the next thing in the schematic is the flash to pass switch and dimmer. Which should I replace first? I think it may be the flash to pass.

Thank you all for the help! :)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

The headlight dimmer switch and flash to pass switch are the same part (combination/turn signal switch).

To check the combination switch
Measure the voltage of the solid red wire going into the combination switch, it should be 12V
Continue to measure the solid red wire while activating flash to pass, it should remain at 12V
With flash to pass still activated, check the red/white striped wire(hi beam) it should be 12v
Or
With the headlight switch turned on, check for 12v at the red/green striped wire going into the combination switch. If 12v is present, then check for 12v on the red/black wire for low beams and 12v on the red/white wire for hi beams.

nucapri

• 94 capri non-turbo
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »

Ok, well I guess I have to take a step back. Testing the 3 way light switch:when turned off, I m receiving close to 12 v on both red and r/w wire. Parking lights, I am reading 12 v on both. Low beam (switch full on) my red wire drops to 5.2mv and r/w is obviously still at 12.
Also, when switch is on , I am still receiving 12v at fuse, just not at switch. Does this mean I'm screwed and the wire from fuse to switch is corroded just enough that when the circuit is open, there ks too much stress and not enough power making it through, meaning I have to run another red wire?
What is causing this issue?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:12:25 PM by nucapri »
Pages: [1] 2