TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Poll

Which interior design do you think looks best (link )

Personal Fittipaldi steering wheel in black leather
Momo Retro steering wheel
Momo Race steering wheel
Stock steering wheel

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade  (Read 99926 times)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
Re: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2016, 04:31:15 AM »

Ok, time for some updates

Some one tried to break in to my car !

Yes, that's right... my soft top was forced by the passenger window back until a fist sized hole could be accessed past the internal frame....

Moved the car off the street to my friends farm... guarded by a farmer with a .22, 2 hunting dogs, 2 alpaca's, some protective dairy cows and a whole lot of skittish sheep.

I am now looking into a tk105b GPS GPRS tracker alarm with RFID, immobiliser, microwave sensor, a siren with its own power supply and a tracking app to do remote security stuff !!!

new items

360mm izumi vintage leather steering wheel, nice and spongy grip like the SE XR2 steering wheel

Black Pearl clubsprint rear bumper $350 AUD, looking at red halo led 4" tail light and red halo with amber indicators
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:04:40 AM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »

Wow love the Clubbie panel, wish we could get them here. I can't convince Russ to manufacture them :(.
That really sucks someone tried to break in, will you have to buy a new top frame?
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

I highly doubt they were tring to steal the car, they were probably going for the stereo.

That's why I never lock my doors, cuz if someone's going to break in, they're going to go through the soft top.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »

Well... Lithgow, like many other towns is rife with crystal meth... it's likely someone would break in for any number of reasons, although this would be thief went out of their way to cover over their tracks by trying to make the tear inconspicous.

I like the idea of leaving the car with the top down when I do go out. The microwave 2 stage sensor will *bip* if anyone gets too close, and go *nuts* if anyone gets in... as well as sending me an sms alert...

The top is ok, maybe a bit of glue can fix her up to the frame... I'm looking at getting a stayfast top... or maybe a mohair if that's even possible... one day...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:10:02 AM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »

Here's a mock up of the rear light array I am looking at, photoshop image over another car rear end.

I like the idea of having 4x red halo tail lights at night, with solid red brake light and solid amber indicator, seen as pictured on left of image, right indicator is solid clear day light,  brake lights are red lenses
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »

Here's a mock up of the rear light array I am looking at, photoshop image over another car rear end.

I like the idea of having 4x red halo tail lights at night, with solid red brake light and solid amber indicator, seen as pictured on left of image, right indicator is solid clear day light,  brake lights are red lenses

IMHO.....I don't care for the outer lights. I would just make all four of the lights the same and not bother with amber rear turn signals.

And if you really wanted to trick it out and do something simular to my front park/turn lights and get a pair of diodes, a resistor, small capacitor, and a micro NC relay wired to each side's set. This would give you quad halo tail lights with quad brake lights that would flash both lights on each side as turn signals too.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2016, 05:59:55 AM »

Crispo, I read your blog about the front light projectors you settled with, and as I've got a blown headlight I was planning on giving your 2.5" bi-xenon projectors a go, probably 6k lights with aluminium custom housing.

Do 3", 4" or 5" lights also fit?

As for the rear lights, resistors and what not I had overlooked but will need that gear due to the voltage difference...

In Australia we need amber flashers for turning indicators, reds wouldn't cut it for registration purposes... hence the setup I've settled with. It's not easy finding 4" led rounds with red halo and amber flasher hamburger lights.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:09:07 AM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2016, 08:22:15 AM »

Opps. I forgot you're from Australia.  Here in North America, we're not required to have amber rear turn signals.
There should be no need for resister if those lights were designed for automotive use.

The electrical parts I listed were for the creation of a switchback circuit I put together for my front marker/turn lights. When I redid my front lighting, I used a stripe of white and a stripe of amber leds so my entire front marker light is a pure white when the park lights are on. When the turn signal is activated, the power to the front white leds and side marker is cut off and the flashing turn signal power is applied to both the fromt amber leds and the side marker to create a wrap around amber turn signal. About 2 seconds after the turn signal is shut off, the marker lights resume again. This makes the front markers almost match my headlights and keeps the white leds from fading out my amber turn signal. Plus now the side marker flashes too for increased visability from the sides. I plan to one day do a simular circut so the rear side markers will flash too.

I've redone my headlights again already and installed 3 inch bi-xenon projectors. They were so long, I had to dome the front about a half inch to make them fit.

Also, I wouldn't recommend 6k lights for the headlights for two reasons. First reason is you won't find any matching leds for the marker lights. Leds are generally 5k or so. The second reason is that 6k hids only put out about 2000 usable lumens vs 2800 for 5k and 3200 for 4k.

IMHO....5k is the sweet spot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:36:09 AM by chrispoe »

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »

Changed lights again huh... you strike me as a head light genius.

What do you mean by; 'I had to dome the front about a half inch to make them fit.'

Does that mean a change to the capri bodywork ahead of the lights ?... or making a bigger O in the custom aluminium casing?

I like the blue tinge on the 6k, nothing to do with lighting efficiency...

Technically speaking... 3k lights give a better colour definition to what you are seeing, the higher k the more monochromatic everything looks under lights...

Changing the front bulbs on the stock headlights is an h4 type bulb I believe, I think I have a bi high low h4 bulb somewhere until the upgrade gets done, I have some HID xenon resistors somewhere, but I think Xenon's are overkill... especially for anyone facing those with naked eyeballs
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

My lights are in a continuous state of evolution! My mainbeams alone have seen a half dozen or so design changes/revisions so far and I’m designing yet another set right now.

I wouldn’t call myself a head light genius…LOL
More like a very knowledgeable person who also has done a lot of experimentation.

One of my key design rules for my headlight retrofits is that it requires no permanent modification and is essentially Plug-N-Play. I'm still maintaining pop-up functionality and using the OEM horizontal and vertical adjusters.

When I said dome the front of the headlight to make the 3 inch fit, I did this

The OEM headlights do not use H4 bulbs, they’re sealed beams and the entire headlight lamp needs to be replaced.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:06:27 PM by chrispoe »

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »

Awesome, any chance you could make me a pair of those 3 inch projector frames to plug in... they look awesome.

Seat Update

Look what I found... XR5 Ford Focus Recaro seats. Really comfy, and the black leather goes with the interior

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:07:03 PM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »

My lights are in a continuous state of evolution! My mainbeams alone have seen a half dozen or so design changes/revisions so far and I’m designing yet another set right now.

I wouldn’t call myself a head light genius…LOL
More like a very knowledgeable person who also has done a lot of experimentation.

One of my key design rules for my headlight retrofits is that it requires no permanent modification and is essentially Plug-N-Play. I'm still maintaining pop-up functionality and using the OEM horizontal and vertical adjusters.

When I said dome the front of the headlight to make the 3 inch fit, I did this

The OEM headlights do not use H4 bulbs, they’re sealed beams and the entire headlight lamp needs to be replaced.
So why cant you just use similar style 3inch headlights?
 ive seen quite a few on Ebay for cheap, ive been thinking of getting some to test them.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2016, 11:02:08 PM »

Hi WashiestSnake,

I think I'm going to try the bi-xenon 3" projectors, chrispoe has a great writeup about upgrading to projectors...

I'm going to try a LED setup for my new clubsprint rear end.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »

Awesome, any chance you could make me a pair of those 3 inch projector frames to plug in... they look awesome.

Seat Update

Look what I found... XR5 Ford Focus Recaro seats. Really comfy, and the black leather goes with the interior

Those seats are really comfy, only thing I don't like is the headrests, in order for me to put my head back comfortably; I have to take my ponytail out everytime.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:10 PM »

I was wondering if the stock xr2 head rests would fit... the hole in the back may suit pony pails  :)

EDIT: No they don't, the supports are narrower than the XR5 seats  :'(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:40:45 AM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15