TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Poll

Which interior design do you think looks best (link )

Personal Fittipaldi steering wheel in black leather
Momo Retro steering wheel
Momo Race steering wheel
Stock steering wheel

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade  (Read 99764 times)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
Re: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 05:02:12 AM »

Check this boxster part for sale

Just a bit too far away to pick up... sometimes they are advertised in South Australia... which is also too far away  :(
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

Boxster Roll bar might work if you removed the backseat.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »

Yeah, or maybe modify it.

Looks like it's a 4/91 build xr2... is that a short nose crank... and if so, should I buy it ?
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »

8/91 was the cutoff, so it is highly likely to be a short-nose.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »

Put down a deposit on the donor car, the turbo mechanic I'm buying it off claims it's...

:D :D :D ' A Sweet little runner '  :D  :D :D

If it is a short nose crank, I'll just have to take care of it the best I can.

Thinking of going synthetic 5w - 30 Castrol Magntec stop and start and running 98 octane fuel...

What does everyone else use ?... corn starch anyone ?
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »

I wouldn't buy it in my opinion, is the whole reason you need the 91 because it is the Turbo XR2? Am I correct that the 1994 is XR2 without a turbo. I know Australia got some XR2s without the turbocharger. If it was me id search for a later model 92/93. That's what I plan on doing with my Capri if I cant squeeze a supercharger in.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
KANGAROO LEATHER UPGRADES
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 11:19:37 PM »

Correct, I have a naturally aspirated XR2 SE 94 model... the XR2 SE turbo has separate turbo badging on the left tail light and a sticker on each side...

I may be able to purchase the XR2 SE Turbo tail light off a friend of mine, but getting the 2x decals may be next to impossible without doing a reproduction laser print.

The XR2 91 Turbo donor car looks in pretty good shape bodywise, my mate sounds like he wants to buy it off me... choices choices... at the end of the day I want to upgrade my XR2 SE to turbo and a VJ11/14 one at that !

Other mods I am planning are ebony black kangaroo leather... sun visors , and matching gear boot... maybe same on door pulls and recover the arm rest centre console... I could even recover the vinyl steering wheel in ebony black kangaroo leather too ( if I am going to keep it)

Once I get around to it, I'll post some pics of these item's incase anyone wants to order some... bulk deals available.

The great thing about kangaroo hide is that its thinner and tougher (long lasting) than cow skin and is wet mouldable and comes in different colors too !
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:28:24 PM by DarkAngel »
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »

After August 91 they made a change to the "Big Nose" 27mm crank. The "long nose" crank is still a 22mm crank along with the upgraded bolt and woodruff key that the dealers put in to service warranties on the small nose 22mm cranks in the early B6 motors and also allowing the use of the same oil pump. The problem was the crank noses were wearing prematurely at the keyway due to the faulty design....then the crank nose would on occassion actually break off. The long nose allowed more of the key to be in contact with the nose. The Big nose will need the matching oil pump on any upgrade to a small nose motor.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 07:24:39 AM »

Ok I'm convinced to get a long nose crank turbo... CONSIDERING that a short nose can fail at anytime annd requires removing the engine to replace the crackshaft... that sucks big time.

There's a long nose engine turbo available in VIC, for $495 AUD, 155k on the speedo... I'm really after a whole car with all the turbo bits I need.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56:26 PM »

Visited a clubsprint SC turbo yesterday, the lady owner had put in a 2.5 inch dual exhaust and she sounded sweet...

Adding that to my build list, does Rocketman make and sell one of those from the cat back ?

Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 01:09:45 AM »

Visited a clubsprint SC turbo yesterday, the lady owner had put in a 2.5 inch dual exhaust and she sounded sweet...

Adding that to my build list, does Rocketman make and sell one of those from the cat back ?
No, but Gaz does sell exhaust systems. Rocketman doesn't really come on here much anymore, the only thing he makes currently is the Rocketchip, and the strut bars.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »

Here's another photoshop mockup with the addition of turbo instruments, tinted windows, capote, rollbar and tinted perspex airdam.

Below is a zoom with better detail of numbered parts

Turbo upgrades

• Sparco single button steering mount, going to be used as a turbo scrambler momentary button for extra boost. Just hold down for sheer exhiliration
    • GFB 3004 G-Force II electronic boost controller, mounted right side of steering wheel on dash pad, has intelligent boost mapping. Hopefully works ok with Rocketchip
    • Turbo boost gauge, mounted on pod on right A pillar

Plus, under the bonnet... a GFB Mach 2 TMS T9120 BOV, thinking of the quiet variety

Money... money... money.  :o

Well I've been saving up for this project, going to have access to funds late July so until then I'll continue to make plans... stay tuned for actual pics as I get the build going ☺[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:46:55 AM by DarkAngel »
    Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
    tracker gps, respray

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
    « Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »

• GFB 3004 G-Force II electronic boost controller, mounted right side of steering wheel on dash pad, has intelligent boost mapping. Hopefully works ok with Rocketchip
    'Rocketchip' is just a remapped stock ECU. On our cars boost is controlled mechanically by a wastegate on the turbo itself, not by electronics. So there won't be any compatibility issues, you'll just need to plumb and wire your electronic boost controller properly.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
    « Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »

How does the stock xr2 turbo mechanically adjust the wastegate ?... is there any manual controls in the driver side ?

It seems that the ECU controls it, and I would  assume the amount of boost and so forth is factory set.

So, a Rocketchip is indeed delicious.

Also a blow off valve seems like a good idea, the GFB mach 2 advises it increases throttle response and allows  turbo regain 30% quicker... wooo hoooo !

Plumbing and wiring is something I feel comfortable with, my last project was a ford fairmont which was heavily modified on the interior with all kinds of electronic upgrades and I did a trim color change from stock grey to stock beige... still working on adding blistein lowered shocks, lovells springs and a custom big brake kit using american mustang rotors... but thats another story.
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:58:28 PM by DarkAngel »
    Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
    tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
      • 1991 Mercury Capri
    « Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »

How does the stock xr2 turbo mechanically adjust the wastegate ?... is there any manual controls in the driver side ?

It seems that the ECU controls it, and I would  assume the amount of boost and so forth is factory set.

So, a Rocketchip is indeed delicious.

Also a blow off valve seems like a good idea, the GFB mach 2 advises it increases throttle response and allows  turbo regain 30% quicker... wooo hoooo !

Plumbing and wiring is something I feel comfortable with, my last project was a ford fairmont which was heavily modified on the interior with all kinds of electronic upgrades and I did a trim color change from stock grey to stock beige... still working on adding blistein lowered shocks, lovells springs and a custom big brake kit using american mustang rotors... but thats another story.
    Sounds like a good story love the Aussie Falcon cars!
    Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15