TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Poll

Which interior design do you think looks best (link )

Personal Fittipaldi steering wheel in black leather
Momo Retro steering wheel
Momo Race steering wheel
Stock steering wheel

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade  (Read 100806 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »

Coil on plug has been done but only works on Megasquirt or you can get a reflashed Evo 8 Ecu with a engine harness that enables it.

It definitely is needed if you are thinking of going high hp ie 300+, the stock dizzy system from what i've heard is awful.

The Miata system had one coil pack, and a CAS to control the signal to each cylinder. This increased power, mpg, and spark. If you go C.O.P you gain a good amount of performance with it.
I think you could get it to work if you got a Miata CAS, and then hybridize the Miata ignition harness with the Capri harness.
With the Evo Ecu you have to use the Miata CAS to run it.

I plan on getting a reflashed Evo ecu with it.

The only people I know who use C.O.P is GTX guys, I havent heard of any Capris, or 323 GTs converting to it yet.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:09:47 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

DarkAngel

• Cruzing around the Blue Mountains since 2012
    • Black Pearl XR2 SE 1994 Ford Capri
    • Build Thread
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »

The splitfire harness will fit the B6t... maybe I'll invest in one for $80... brand new they are about 6x that amount.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
(VJ 11/14), helical LSD, 5th gear cog, 2.5 exhaust
stiffer springs, heated seats, electronic booster
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

If you really can pick it up for that cheap it would be a great deal. Megasquirt alone is 250 for a DIY kit, and the Evo ECU + Harness is 450$.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:54 AM »

What is the size difference depth wise for B6 and BP spark plugs?... that is important to consider to see if the splitfire harness will work for the b6T apparently.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »

I believe there is zero difference in the spark plugs.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »

here is a pic of the splitfire harness in question...
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

The B6t will take an overbore for sure. .5mm is a good idea simply just to square up the bores. Go to the Mazda dealer for rings though as the aftermarket does not have the quality they do. For pistons you can do the same or go to Wiseco for forgies, look to the Miata for the part# there.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »

On that head is the exhaust cam stamped B660? As far as the Evo ecu I think Carlos has only had 1 B6t running on it and it took a long time to get it running but that car has since fell out of existence. He mostly works them for the BP's.

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2017, 01:31:02 AM »

you wanna upgrade with single coil ignition? i am on to upgrade my capri with dual coil ignition. edis4 modul an coil from ford focus (europe). i will use megasquirt ms2extra for it.

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2017, 04:55:56 AM »

On that head is the exhaust cam stamped B660? As far as the Evo ecu I think Carlos has only had 1 B6t running on it and it took a long time to get it running but that car has since fell out of existence. He mostly works them for the BP's.
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

I agree with Azgtx on overboring, it is possible but there isnt anywhere near enough material to get a large overbore done. Im guessing machine work in Oz is more expensive and harder to find meaning the cost to get the engine rebuilt would double maybe probably less. If you were here in the States id say go for it, you dont see many b6s modefied like that, but being as your in Oz I think a BPT would be way cheaper solution. Basically id use the b6 as a stop gap so you have a good idea how they respond to mods, and then take that knowledge to use towards the BP.

@Clay im only going to be running the b6 on the Evo ecu for a very short time, the plan is to get it running and then drop in a BP once I have the time. Im still looking for a good BP I cant seem to find a low milage(under 150k). Also my car is a N/A I couldnt find a XR2 in good shape when I bought my Capri.

@RSherry No I dont want to upgrade to single coil ignition I was explaining how the distributorless system works on the Miata to give refrence to how it would work here. I plan on going C.O.P meaining each spark plug gets its own coil.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:46:54 PM by WashiestSnake »

DarkAngel

• Build Thread
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:57 PM »

My next engine upgrade will be electric I'm thinking :)
Current Project XR2 SE

To Do
tracker gps, respray

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »

Buy Buy Buy

Those two pics above are a 150mm 2 spoke leatherette steering wheel and a Depo racing 30psi boost gauge.

I plan on recovering the steering wheel in chrome black kangaroo leather, the 30 psi is a bit rich... however the bonus is I'll never need to buy another boost gauge if I pump up the turbo :)

Here's another purchase I made today at Khlong Thom markets (Bangkok) NHK Japanese quality Bi Xenon 3" projector lights with NHK harness and H1 bulbs. The projectors are all aluminium housing and a thick glass 3" lense.

NHK is manufactured by the XGY company in China and they’re actually a Chinese clone of the shortly lived Audi Q5’s projector originally designed by Koito.
They’re decent projectors, in fact they’re a step up from my current 3” super minis. I was planning to use a set of them for my next upgrade, but a few weeks ago Sinolyn released clones of the Hella G5 which were used in BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, and various other manufactures. After looking at the output pics/reviews at Hidplanet, I’ve decided to spend the extra money and go with the G5s.

Are you sure those NHKs are H1, cuz all of the Q5 clones I’ve seen are D2S or some manufacture specific specialty bulb. If they’re the specialty type, I would buy a spare set of bulb.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:49:09 AM by chrispoe »

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »

Coil on plug has been done but only works on Megasquirt or you can get a reflashed Evo 8 Ecu with a engine harness that enables it.

It definitely is needed if you are thinking of going high hp ie 300+, the stock dizzy system from what i've heard is awful.

The Miata system had one coil pack, and a CAS to control the signal to each cylinder. This increased power, mpg, and spark. If you go C.O.P you gain a good amount of performance with it.
I think you could get it to work if you got a Miata CAS, and then hybridize the Miata ignition harness with the Capri harness.
With the Evo Ecu you have to use the Miata CAS to run it.

I plan on getting a reflashed Evo ecu with it.

The only people I know who use C.O.P is GTX guys, I havent heard of any Capris, or 323 GTs converting to it yet.

The biggest drawback to our dizzy is that they’re reactive and the timing is determined by weights and vacuum at the dizzy(XR2’s have the knockbox for extra timing retarding). 
Due to the reactive design, the accuracy and response to changing engine conditions is slow and laggy. Plus, there’s no way to tune the ignition timing cuz it’s controlled by the dizzy itself.

The Miata uses dual coil pack setup with wastespark that’s controlled by the ECU. A single coil pack setup that’s ECU controlled like what I’m currently using, will still require a distributor to send the spark to the proper cylinder.

Personally I’d go with a Megasquirt over a EVO ecu.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »

here is a pic of the splitfire harness in question...

Where's the dual channel igniter box that goes with that setup? Cuz that’s the expensive part.

IMHO…I wouldn’t spend $80 on them, you can buy brand new Toyota Coil packs with integrated igniters for less. My local junkyard only charged me $20 for the Toyota COPs and harness.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15