General > Build Threads

Black Pearl SE XR2 turbo upgrade

(1/43) > >>

DarkAngel:
Hello everyone, this is my first post in Team Capri... what an awesome blog site for Capri enthusiast's !

This is a planning thread, where I am looking forward to sharing with everyone my proposed build inside and out of my newly acquired 1994 black pearl XR2 n/a australian Capri.

I've had a good opportunity to peruse Team Capri blogs for some great idea's and hopefully shall also be adding some of my own !

Turbo Engine & Transmission

B6T long turbo engine upgrade from 91 Capri turbo donor car, has all bits needed for upgrade including ECU, wiring harness, 5 speed tranmission with clutch, manual clutch pedals instead of current hydralic setup, CV joints, bigger sway bar (?)

Other upgrades, whiteline stabiliser bar, MX5 roll bar to stiffen rear...

Interior

ITEMAudioVisualSystem - commentsAlpine IVA-d106eHead unit, single din with flip out 7 inch screen with 2 video inputs, optical out. (capable of controlling amp functions). Also when parked, the screen is folded up inside dash and the faceplate may be removed to discourage theft.Alpine MRD F35Amp 5.1 dolby surround system, 50 watts RMS x5 incl center speaker, optical input, ai net input for CD stacker, dolby pro logic II for creating virtual surround sound, 105 db awesome sound.Alpine Speakers upgrade 50+ rmsCenter Speaker - 1 din unit mounted below headunit in dash. (may be replaced with extra turbo gauges instead)
Front Speaker Component system - 6.5 cm woofers using existing door grills, separate mounting of tweeters on 'A' pillar to bounce sound off windows
Rear Speakers - 5x7 maybe upgrade to 6x9
Subwoofers - 2x 10 inch Bassline sub's mounted under capote powered with MRD-500 amp...ITEMTurbo upgradesTurbo gauges, smokedBoost - neg vacuum pressure to 3 bar
Exhaust temp - seems like a good idea
hopefully smoked lenses reduce glareEngine watchdogEngine digital oil and water temperature gauge with alarm setting parametersSports SeatsSomething that holds the body more in place, possibly with seat warming and extra comfort.
I have some photoshop mockups of the interior and some idea's for personalised plates which I shall post once I work out how to upload pics.

NomakeWan:
Since you're pulling an engine out of another car anyway, you gonna go ahead and upgrade the turbo on it while you're at it? As an XR2 owner, trust me, you'll look for more than the stock VJ14 can offer before too long.

Best of luck with your project!

DarkAngel:
Thanks for your input NomakeWan.

Upgrading the turbo seems like a fantastic idea, does anyone have any suggestions or tried and proven upgrades they have tried.

Also... Rocketchips !.. they sound delicious  :)

chrispoe:
IMHO… Don’t bother with surround sound in a car unless you’re planning to sit on top of the ebrake/center console to be in the right spot to take advantage of it. Plus watching a movie on a tiny 7 inch screen where it would be located in the Capri wouldn’t be ideal. I’m not even sure you could see much of anything on the lcd during the day with the top down…LOL

I’d use the money to upgrade the turbo instead, you’ll use and enjoy it a lot more.

NomakeWan:
Read the pinned thread about turbo upgrades in the XR2 forum. I actually just got my VJ11/VJ14 hybrid back from the turbo shop. $500.

The Rocketchip will be absolutely required no matter what you do, whether it's upping the boost on the stock turbo or throwing in a better one. Without it you won't have the correct fuel maps and will likely do damage to your engine at higher-than-stock boost levels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version