TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Attaching side trim  (Read 2828 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Attaching side trim
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »

Looking for info on re-attaching the side trim on the doors.  Drivers has started coming loose and the passenger came off last fall.  When the passenger came off, I cleaned and ruffed the surface and re-attached with 3M Trim Adhesive and that only lasted a month. 

Thanks for the help, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Attaching side trim
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »

Use the 3m red VHB tape (Very High Bond)
Clean all the surfaces so old adhesive is gone, scuffing shouldnt be necessary - clean with alcohol or follow the VHB instructions. It's good stuff
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:03:36 AM »

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Jack
Jack Byrd

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »

Rocket is right. Unfortunately, roughing up may be a problem going forward. You want 3m 051131 06382 half-inch Automotive Plus Acrylic Attachment Tape. Use a 1-1/2" drywall knife (joint compound spreader) to carefully scrape the adhesives off both the door and the trim.  You can use Prep-Sol, Pre-Cleano, or any other brand of adhesive remover (body shop wax and goo remover for pre paint prep) to clean both surfaces, but I highly suggest for the backside of the trim, use regular old Lacquer thinner (carefully keeping it on the backside only). It is actually much better if this surface is as smooth as possible. Lacquer thinner will begin to soften the rubber compounds in the trim and after it flashes (evaporates enough to look dry), the 3m tape will literally instantly bond to the trim - you will NOT get a chance to reposition it. Just like the factory trim adhesive tape, use two strips per trim piece, one along the top backing and a parallel one along the bottom. Once you have the tape on the trim piece, strip the first 6 inches of cover tape away and (hopefully you already noted the exact positioning) start attaching the strip on the panel. Have a helper keep stripping away tape about a foot ahead of your contact location and keep going, using the body groove line as your guide keeping gaps even. I use a roller (old wallpaper seam roller about an inch wide) to roll up and down the trim after it is on.

When I worked in the body shop, we used masking tape every 6" to hold it in place for a few hours, but that was so 70's, this stuff doesn't require it.

Keep that lacquer thinner FAR away from your paint though! It will immediately soften your dissolve your finish.
Hope this helps,
Ron
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »

Thanks Ron, gotta find time to do it now, Jack
Jack Byrd