TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Capri RS Build(WashiestSnakes Build)  (Read 76099 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Capri RS Build(WashiestSnakes Build)
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »

Hopefully we can get together sometime soon also.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »

Hopefully we can get together sometime soon also.

Jack Byrd
I would love to, sadly I'm still on driving restriction from my Seizure so I won't be able to meet up till Augaust.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »

Let me know.  I'm going to sell my red one shortly and concentrate on my XR2, don't really need much, but love to get out and ramble anyway.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »

I will do for sure, I've been itching to get out for awhile now. I really got to pick up a set of knuckles so I can finally put the big brakes on.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

Alright here's a little update, and I'm sorry for my lack of pictures and stuff I've been incredibly busy these last couple weeks. Anyway onto the good/bad stuff my Capri sprung a huge leak in the heater hose and I've had trouble replacing it, I just finally got it replaced. As of next week I'm going to be on Vacation so I plan on banging some stuff out. I'm planning on getting my interior cleaned up then and shooting pictures, aswell as cleaning up the engine bay. Another cool thing I have to share is I'm getting extremely close to the amount needed to turbo the engine, and do it right so that should be coming soon. I've started looking onto running BG suspension in hopes of using the e153 awd trans. I'll post more layer hope everyone is doing well.

Here's a couple questions regarding the GTX for Clay. 1 does it share it's own unique K-Frame or is it different. If it does and I can acquire it will it bolt into the fwd chassis or is that different aswell.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »

Are you gonna go with BP Performance stuff?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »

Yup that's the plan all of his stuff has great reviews. It is pretty pricey though so that's been abit of a problem. I'm planning on running his COP plate and one of their Evo8 Ecus.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »

Cool, all that custom stuff is going to be expensive.  Lots of work has to go into R&D and also the manufacturing.  There's no economy of scale because so few people are interested and the guy's gotta make a living.  I hope it all works for you.  You know he has to have something going when his Festiva does 150 in a quarter.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »

I'm getting the interior finished up. Waiting on a 94 center console to come. In the coming weeks I'll be installing black carpet, and black leather mustang seats. I also have to install my 94 XR2 gauge cluster.

I have to change the headliner in the Hardtop does anyone want to give me tips?

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »

Go gentle on the dome light cover, I think it has tangs to hold it on, then it's all screws IIRC. I got my fabric at JoAnn Fabrics, they stock grey and black with the foam backing. YouTube "headliner replacement" and you will find some great walk-throughs. Once you remove the screws and pull the push pins (use an automotive interior pry tool) and free up the fiberboard, you will have to use a very stiff brush to scrub off the remnants of the foam. Once you have all the foam off and the surface cleaned and vacuumed, you can cut the new material to fit, but leave about 4" on all sides if possible for positioning. You will be trimming it after it is glued. Measure where the dome light goes and cut a small undersized X there so the wire can come through.

Before you glue, fill in all the gouges with something smooth that will not shrink, like spakling putty (I used fiberglass since my fiberboard was creased a few spots). You might prime the spots if you use something like that, I would think that Kilz would suffice if it absorbs in and gets some bite.

IIRC, glue is applied to the foam backing, half at a time. Maybe you put some on the fiberboard too, look it up, I forget. You fold the fabric in half and start at the dome light, putting it down and gently rubbing it, working toward getting adhesion all the way across from window to window and then lightly burnish it all the way across like a print head toward the windshield, careful not to have any wrinkles. You can't reposition if you have the right glue. Once you wrap the edges and make some cuts at the corners to properly edge wrap like a gift wrapped present, take the other half that is not glued yet and, with some plastic proteciting the finished half, lay the last half over the finished work so that with plastic protecting the edges, spray the glue on the last half and like a print head again, burnish the fabric to the fiberboard side to side, pass by pass until you reach the back window area, letting your excess wrap, cutting and folding the corners like the front.

Trim it up, use pins to poke through from the backside and mark the push pin holes and then poke them through and put it back together being very careful not to push ANYWHERE very hard, it is very easy to mash a handprint into the foam.

I used a spray adhesive, 3m 38808 or maybe it was 77?. Again, google it or YouTube it and you fill find interior experts who know what to do.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

Good explanation.  Trim adhesive is a contact cement so you do have to spray both pieces and wait until it tacks, get dry to the touch.  I have to do mine soon because weather is coming.

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »

You might be right about that Jack, I forgot a few details, it's been a busy year. It would still benefit anyone to check out a few YouTube videos and read their adhesive directions as well.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »

Thanks SHOwn I appreciate the great advice. It's helping alot, I'm ordering my material so hopefully I can do it soon.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »

Yeah, I've got to do mine also.  Got an idea for a custom touch also.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »

Got the door panels in, and fully functioning. 1994 Center Console is coming sometime next week hopefully. I'm planning on upgrading to the 94 Dash aswell in the future. I plan on having a interior shoo install it as I'm not good at that.

For whatever reason I can't insert a picture using Floor so here's the link. https://flic.kr/p/CpbAzy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:02:45 PM by WashiestSnake »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10