TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: a weird coincidence ?  (Read 2881 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
a weird coincidence ?
« on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »

hello my Fellow Capri owners,
Been awhile since ive been on. Got my shifter bushings in.. no problem.  Got a new inquiry now, that maybe someone will have an idea of what im asking !
a few weeks ago i added oil to the engine (got a small leak somewhere), and i forgot to place the oil cap back on, and went driving... maybe drove about 20-25 miles, and my engine started to miss and black smoke started to come out of the tail pipe in intervals. I didnt realize i had not installed the cap back on, until a little later.  I then put it back on, and let the Car sit for day or two. Then it drove without any hesitations, or smoke the next time i drove it, and ever since..
My question is... did the oil cap have a darn thing to do with the problem, or was that a coincidence timing with another issue?      NOW, the Capri seems to lack get up and go like it did before.  The turbo spools up, and gets to around the correct PSI. But there is a lack of power.. like it has the breaks on slightly which it doesnt.. just a way to illustrate it.  I have had the emmisions done since, and it passed, could it be a partially clogged Cat ?  Or PCV valve (which i have changed out about 5 months ago.   thanks ya'll

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Re: a weird coincidence ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

The oil problem I had was a bad turbo. It would spool up, and it would generate power...usually, but it made a mess of everything and eventually blew massive smoke out the exhaust under load. You may be well on your way to the same thing.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »

Thats what im afraid of. Did i read somewhere where you bought another turbo ? If so.. have you installed it yet... and what is a good condition one running nowaday , if you dont mind me asking ?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »

What you pay for a turbo will depend on what condition it is in of course and who you buy it from mainly. I have bought and sold quite a few. Some of them have no idea how to check them or even know if they are good. I will tell you do not jump on the cheap ones as they are usually never  good except for parts. First thing to do is get yours to a shop for an assessment. If you have wheels hitting housings you have a paper weight. I sell good ones for around 400 but unfortunately I am out at the moment as I just moved 4 of them except for a Tbird that is 1000 miles fresh from a rebuild. That one is 600 + shipping. I do have parts if you come to that as well as VJ11 compressor wheels and housings for a hybrid if you go that route. Turbo rebuilds can range from 600 to 900 all depending what it needs and who does it. Good VJ's are getting hard to find and the rebuilder books are deleting the part numbers on these old turbos.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:59 AM »

Bought a VJ11 compressor wheel and housing for about $40, and am having the VJ14 rebuilt and hybridized for about $500. It's in the shop as we speak.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:23:01 AM »

There you go..should be up and running soon.