TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Just bought a 94 xr2, now what?  (Read 4659 times)

tony-p.

Just bought a 94 xr2, now what?
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »

Well I am officially a Capri nut.  I just bought a 2nd Capri.  Now I have a 1994 XR2 to go along with 1992 XR2.

I am not sure what I want to do with my new 1994 XR2.  I know they are very rare for that model year but there are some drawbacks to this car.  My 92 has no rust, runs well, 93k miles; this is a great car.  The 94 has moderate rust on the body and the under body.  It has 125k miles and while it does run ok, I haven’t taken it out to really test it.  It needs a new soft top and both leather seats have rips.  Other than a few dings and scratches, it’s good.  All the unique parts are here down to the 7 spoke rims but it is missing the driver side side-skirt.

So this is where I need your help.  I don’t want to part out such a rare model but the rust on the underbody scares me since there is nothing I can do to repair it.  So do I:
A. Put it up for sale as is and see what I get.
B. Part it out
C. Restore everything except the underbody and sell.

What do you think?  Thank you for any advice you can give me.

-Tony P.

bhazard

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

Try to find someone on here that can fix the rust. Remember there were only what, like 366 made for the WORLD.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

darqueyes

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »

No part it out.  That makes one less and mine is worth more.  Ha Ha
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »

Hey Darqueyes!  Why are you so----o you? Tony! If you're not a bodyman then the expense would be beyond incredible. Try to find someone who is and would do the deed. Maybe enjoy it a bit. You'll notice some difference in handling and steering. I've been driving one around the last couple of weeks after putting a fresh head on it. It still has a weak cylinder a leaky exhaust. Its green like the Craigslist one.  Gus

tony-p.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »

Gus, if I did restore the body I would use another (3rd) doner car, although the wife would not be happy if her car got kicked out of the driveway.  It would seem like a real shame to part it out because its so rare.  I would feel like I helped kill off an endangered species (although for the right price i'd pull the wings of a striped beard owl). The underbody is not that bad, but dont know a way to stop it's progression.

I am looking forward to taking her for a drive; just putting a new alt. belt on her now.  Already put the matching hard top on her because the soft top was so bad.  Starting to look good.

Phillip

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

Eastwood has a rust encapsulator http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator.html that really works. It won’t fix the rust but it will stop it. I am going through my 94 XR2 and this is what I used. It more or less stops time and preserves the metal. If you keep it out of the water and take it apart and work on it a piece at a time it becomes a bit more cost effective. A friend of mine is doing a Grand National and this is what he is doing. Take it apart restore 1 piece at a time, box it and label it. I takes a while but if you really like the car the result is something that is actually better than what rolled off the assembly line.

tony-p.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

Thank you Phillip.  I knew products existed, but the only testimonials I found looked to be planted, "NoRustNoMore is so amazing, I feed it to my baby". Its good to hear from someone really real that it works.  Again, the underbody rust isn't too bad on my 94 xr2, but I'm comparing it to my 92 xr2 from no-salted-roads Texas.

Phillip

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »

IS your car on the Mid County register? Mine is #6

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

Hey Tony! Repairing the car is the right way, otherwise it is compromised historically. I've heard good things about that product. It is marketed under different brands. You might go to a Napa parts store or better yet, A car paint supply house. I've not had the need to use it personally. My three XR2s have not been registered by me and I haven't checked them as of yet. It's something to think about.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

gus tha collecter....LOL

i love my 91, but there is just something about the 94s... problem is if i had a 94 i wouldnt want to mod it... where my 91 is "chopped and screwed"...
 it was a cheap civic alternative that turned into such a fricken toy....
i do want a 94, just to have... but at this point i cant afford or store it... so im not selling... besides, i think im the first high compression b6t..?? and one of the first to have a mitsu 14b turbo hung, from a stock mani... lots of "firsts"....for a 91

220hp@18psi

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »

Hey RCI!  Yes I'm collecting. One could take a donor car and change everything over including vin tag and other numbered parts and no-one would know except the person doing the deed. So far I don't have one those compromised beasts.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

any time your ready to compromise a beast you just let me know gus.....and when im ready to build another, ill be some happy your a collector.
that is if i can get you to come off one ...LOL

220hp@18psi

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »

Hey RCI! One of my 94XR2 is next to compromised. It's a running wreck. It's red and has a 91 nose, has a few dents and it's wheels are on my silver "Janis". I have a nose for her and have made no time to do her over. I've had her for 11/2 yrs now. She is anxiously awaiting some attention.  Gus