TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Is it possible to repair damaged front knuckles for new bearings?  (Read 4098 times)

DavCorn

• '91 and '93 white XR2's

Hello,

Russ at RooSports suggested I contact the forum.

I believe through some poorly done front bearing jobs (multiple on both sides) my knuckles/hubs are damaged and not accepting new races and bearings.  New bearings are going bad within months.  I am hoping it is the mechanic and the jobs were just done poorly and there is no actual damage, but we can only tell that when the current bearings are removed.  I'm having a new mechanic do the next install.

If there is damage, has anyone here on the forum dealt with this problem.  Replacement knuckles for the XR2 are not available. I have ordered new hubs and will install them as needed.

Can the knuckles be machined/cleaned up, so as to accept new races/bearings/and spacers?
Any other ideas?  I would rather not downgrade to the non-turbo knuckles and rotors that Russ has available.

I really want this to be the last time I need do bearings.

DavCorn
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:48:50 PM by DavCorn »

DavCorn

I had ordered the new knuckles from Russ, but canceled the order when he let me know it would require replacing the brake rotors with the smaller size.  I didn't want to go there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:10:30 PM by DavCorn »

azgtx

• Old-Timer

I have a set of good xr2 knuckles to sell. Need a zip code for a price quote.
Clay

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com

There ya go, Dave! I told you someone here would have a good set of XR2 knuckles!  ;D
--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

azgtx

• Old-Timer

Must need them too bad.

azgtx

• Old-Timer

I just sold said knuckles.

DavCorn

Sad that I missed those. Anyone else have a set in good condition?  Not sure if I need them yet.  Anyone have any experience cleaning/fixing them if damaged from bad bearing job(s)?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

What kind of damage has been done to the knuckle?

Have the new mechanic follow the FSM procedures for checking preload and selecting the proper preload spacer if you have them done.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT

I highly doubt your knuckles are bad. As long as you can still fully seat the bearings, they should be ok.

I’d guess the bearing failures are from improper installation from things like mixing up the preload spacers, dead heading a press when reassembling, or improperly torqued axle nuts.