TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Do 6x9 speakers work in the stock location?  (Read 6088 times)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Do 6x9 speakers work in the stock location?
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »

I don't want to remove the back seat and build a system, I only want a little more db when driving with the top down. So I bought a pair of fairly generic 6"x9", 40 oz, 3 way speakers (Amash brand) new in box off CL, to augment the Pioneers that the previous owner put in the stock door locations.

Anyone ever overcut those stock speaker holes to 6"x9"? It looks like they just might fit, but I'll need a minimalist grille to protect the cones and hide the scars from cutting.

Ron
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Ed Hunter

• 1991 Capri XR2
Re: Do 6x9 speakers work in the stock location?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »

Sorry i didn't see this earlier, i don't know if you're still interested, but yes i cut out my location to put in 6X9s. I grabbed a pair of 6X9 rings made by metra bolted them in then cut the plastic for the speaker to come through. The seat belts hit them when unbuckled so i have them buckeled in the back all the time now.
Here are the 6X9 rings on amazon i used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQOX080/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It sounds way better now.
I also grabbed a pair of speaker rings for the 6.5 speakers up front so i didn't have to put shallow mount speakers in my doors and bought some beefy 6.5 speakers for up front too. I think i could probably have left in the factory grills even, but i just used the grills the speakers came with and screwed them onto the door panel for an custom look. Now I have a much better sounding audio system. If you want i can post you some pictures.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: Do 6x9 speakers work in the stock location?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »

That's weird! I coulda swore I replied to your reply months ago! Thanks for the confirmation, Ed. I will eventually get around to installing those speakers, just as soon as I finish the floor in the kitchen/dining room/hallway/bathroom, and rip the old carpet out of the rest of the house. Then maybe I can get some time to install the new vj11 hybrid I'm collecting parts for. After that, the speakers have to make it in - for sure!

Hey, we should get together sometime, I live in Allendale. Maybe get together at MACG or Metro-Cruze.

I wonder if it was you who I met at Joe's salvage in Spring Lake? Guy who has a lot of nice cars, including one very nice XR2?

Anyway, hope to see you sometime and thanks again for the info.
Ron

R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.