TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 94 N/A idles great but feels like rev limit or limp mode on acceleration  (Read 20689 times)

JBone

• 1994 mercury capri base

Hello everyone. Thanks for accepting me into the group. I have a 94 N/A that idles perfectly but will fall on its face on acceleration. It's almost like limp mode or rev limit. I have changed all basic parts associated with the problem. I am very lost at this point and just can't figure out my problem. The only code I have is a single flash of the cel. I pulled a 3 flash one time and pulled the dizzy and cleaned and inspected then the code went away.   I could really use some guidance at this point.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri

Bad fuel filter maybe ? is there any smoke or anything, or is it just no acceleration?
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

JBone

I've cleaned the tank and replaced the pump,filter,plugs, wires and ignition coil. Cleaned all ground and most elec connections. Cleaned throttle body and installed a new gasket. Cleaned maf sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. Replaced fuel injectors. The runs fairly rich but doesn't smoke. I have also removed the cat.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2

Is the TPS operating properly? Running rich is odd, have you checked to make sure the MAF is operating within spec?

JBone

I've done what tests I could find online. I ordered a service manual a few days ago so when it comes in I will be able to test for sure, but the tests that I've preformed so far all seem to be within spec.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your fuel system, It sounds like you have a ignition problem.

Are you still actively getting a #1 fault code? If you are, that’s the IDM fault code, which means the ecu is seeing an issue with the ignition module output signal.

JBone

Yes the #1 code. I don't have a cel while the engine is running only while KOEO. When I attempt to pull the codes, sometimes it just flashes and disappears.  does anyone know what parts go bad the most often in the dizzy? Is it more logical to try to piece a new one together or spend the money for a new one?

JBone

Also the car sat up for a very long time. So I don't know if the Ecu could be my issue. The car just runs and idles so well until you reach a speed of about 30 mph or a certain rpm. The car just surges and never picks up power. I can let off the gas and ease into it and it does better but never accelerates properly.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2

I know these are systems of completely different eras, but the last time I had a car react like that it was my 240Z, and the problem was the ignition coil going bad. I know you said you replaced your ignitor, but I seem to recall the Capri community mentioning that finding an ignitor that worked was something of a crapshoot. Perhaps you ended up getting a bad new one?

JBone

I suppose it possible. The part I've replaced is the ignition coil that is mounted on the maf sensor air box. I have read a lot about the ignition control module going bad quite often, also problems with the camshaft position sensor that's located on the dizzy. I just don't know which direction to go in.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2

Where'd you get it from? Sure enough there was an earlier thread about an N/A not revving correctly, and indeed the issue was a bad ignitor followed by bad 'new' ignitors:

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,3545.15.html

JBone

I got it from eBay and it's a standard motor product.  I tested the coil I took off and it was within the spec that I found for it but it was on the very low end of it.

JBone

I tested compresson on all 4 cylinders yesterday and had 150 psi at each cylinder. I have also tried a different dizzy which did seem to help but the car just will not rev out. It seems to hit a rev limit right before a shift.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2

I got it from eBay and it's a standard motor product.  I tested the coil I took off and it was within the spec that I found for it but it was on the very low end of it.
According to the other thread, the cheaper of the two ignitors (that is, the Standard Motor Products) did not work, and the more expensive (Airtex/Wells) did.

JBone

I preformed a quick test for the IDM yesterday that said to check the ground for the ignition control module and the test that I did (that is if I did it correctly) said to service the ground wire. The manual says that the yellow/blue wire is the ground for the imc. Can any one confirm which wire is the ground from the plug on top of the dizzy?
Pages: [1] 2 3