TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 94 N/A idles great but feels like rev limit or limp mode on acceleration  (Read 20690 times)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT

The ignition control module receives its’ ground from the dizzy itself. The yellow/blue wire is the module’s output signal to the ignition coil, ecu, and tach.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT

Are you sure you have #1 code?

A single flash could be a #1 or a #10 depending if it’s a short or a long flash.

JBone

• 1994 mercury capri base

I don't have any codes anymore. The cel goes away after starting the car and it also goes away when preforming the self test. The only light that I get is after the car gets very hot, after stopping or putting in park, the car will die sometimes and show a cel but I can never get it to flash a code.

disasterdave

• 1993 Capri NA

G'day, my '93 natural goes into rev limiting at 25-2700 rpm occasionally.
Checked the spark and it continues to fire even tho the engine rpm drops.
However the fuel injectors stop clicking as the engine is speeding up around the ~2500 rpm limit and  the restart as the rpm slows down to ~2500. So all 4 are being shut of and then turned back on as the rpm decays
I have changed the ECU, the TPS the MAF and the camshaft position sensors.
Fuel pressure stays around 45-50 psi.
Have checked all grounds, connectors pulled/pushed on any flexible cables. Nothing changes. I works fine when it wants to and then just drops into limp mode aka rev limits when it want to.

Any ideas, mates?? Had a ton of mechanics look at this and still no joy.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri

How interesting , I'm Still in the same boat as you are . Started last year , limited to work on it ..surgery, trips etc.. . However only differences we have is that mine sputters at 3500 -3700 rpm . Did almost everything you have done too . Must be some bug implanted in them to bite after so many miles or time , mine only has 50 something thousand miles on it . Hope you find a solution and post it for future reference , maybe it'll solve my issue too ( for once and all ) . Best of luck , Pappy   

disasterdave

• 1993 Capri NA

Wow someone else has the same issue......perhaps we can yet find someone who has solved it.

I have put in 2 ECU's and they run the car fine EXCEPT they have the same intermittent rev liming AND at the same RPM!!
So I don't think it is ECU related. But some sensor signal isn't happy on occasion which has RPM info and the ECU just shuts down the injectors.....revs decrease to 2500 and the ECU fires the injectors back up.
The only rpm info to the ECU is from the camshaft sensor according to all the wiring diagrams. That sensor and its connector have been replaced....no change.

Thanks for the reply, Pappy
How interesting , I'm Still in the same boat as you are . Started last year , limited to work on it ..surgery, trips etc.. . However only differences we have is that mine sputters at 3500 -3700 rpm . Did almost everything you have done too . Must be some bug implanted in them to bite after so many miles or time , mine only has 50 something thousand miles on it . Hope you find a solution and post it for future reference , maybe it'll solve my issue too ( for once and all ) . Best of luck , Pappy   

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

Maybe I missed it, I didn't see, is this in an automatic car?

I think there is a rev limiter in Neutral so as not to damage things
If the PRNDL switch is compromised the ECU may think it's in neutral when it is not and limit the revs
I do not know what the neutral rev limit is at
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri

Mine's a stick shifter , doesn't make it any easier I guess !

disasterdave

• 1993 Capri NA

Stick shift here to.
rev limits in neutral when it want to.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

Josh had an issue here many years ago where the bearings in his distributor were shot, and the shaft was flopping around inside the distributor and causing a bad signal to the ECU. Perhaps something to investigate. Do you have a spare distributor to try

Edit: I see JBone has tried a different distributor
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:16:39 PM by Rocketman »
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

oz-fire

• TeamCapri Supporter
Re: 94 N/A idles great but feels like rev limit or limp mode on acceleration
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 06:15:59 AM »

Did you finally fix your problem , if so how. I am having a similar issue

disasterdave

• 1993 Capri NA
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »

Problem still there. Replaced the cam position sensor. No change.
As far as I can determine the only rpm sensor on a natural is the cam sensor. the camshaft position sensor sits between the camshaft housing and the distributer running on the same shaft.

So the ECU only has this input to work on TDC and RPM.

The rpm cutout is a very consistent RPM....I can't detect any variation over the many weeks...maybe months...that this comes and goes as feels like it.

Changed the airflow sensor box which has several sensors thinking that perhaps at a certain airflow the sensor resistor was failing...no change with a whole new box :-(

That's the latest updates.....

Cheers

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

Anyone get the situation resolved ? Did a couple quick checks on mine a couple weeks ago...fed up , pulled battery n covered it for winter , done with it til I get younger and more ambitious . Will be for sale next spring if anyone's interested , fixed or not . Really good shape otherwise .
Hope you all have a cool yule and a great new year ! Pappy

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri

Hi all , back at it again ! Cleaned up wires at thermostat , still the same old thing but I did manage to lose my temp gauge reading on dash !!
Hopefully some one will luck out soon .. keep us posted, please  :)

terrymetal

• 1992 Mercury Capri Convertible, 1979 Ford Ranchero

Its possible the Coolant Temperature Sensor is reading in the negative which throws everything off. It can cause stumbling at higher speeds. You can ohm it to see what the resistance is but I do not know what the specification is but it should not be reading negative.

Pages: 1 [2] 3