TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: rear struts to long  (Read 3867 times)

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
rear struts to long
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:00:41 AM »

Hi there. Last week we bought our 3rd capri. I checked it up and saw that the rear spring was very slack in the struts.  Both sides.
I dissabled the rear strut and saw that it was to long for the spring (they should be stock and not cut. Looks pretty good, capri as normal high) The previous owner said he replaiced all 4 struts at the capri.
Checked the number at the struts. They are from a normal hatchback Mazda 323 BF.
At rockautom.com The numbers for monroe struts are different from mazda 323 and capri at the rear. Do the mazda 323 BF rear strut not fit to mercury capri?

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: rear struts to long
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »

Just throw Forester struts in it and let 'er buck. :B

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »

Struts for the BF323 and Capri will be the exact same part..front and rear.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »

Either the springs are cheap aftermarket drop springs or the oem springs were cut.

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:51:00 AM »

:-X mmh ok. I will have i look at it. Orderd a pair of new struts for the rear and for my other capri i will get a set of lowering springs this week. I will give you an information about it. Maxbe take some pictures about the problem

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »

today i get my orderd lowering springs and a pair of new rear struts. found out that the springs, that were mounted at the rear are to short. dont know why. they dont look like they are cut or something. the prewowner says he only let change all 4 struts at the garage.

here there are pictures of it. there is the mounted rear strut with spring and my new lowering spring (35mm or about 1 1/2").
you see that the lowering spring is quit longer then the spring what is mounted at the strut. the mounted spring in the strut is absolutly not compressed!!!!!  the funny thing is. with this mounted spring the car doesnt look like it is lowered.

my plan now is, that i will mount the lowering springs. bought it for my other capri xr2 but now i need them here. will order them again.
i know the protection kit on the picture is damages. i orderd it new and will mount it too.